Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Nethers farm  (Read 14753 times)

Back

Nethers farm
« on: April 01, 2017, 01:15:40 PM »

Hi All

Getting ready to go on my first rock hunting adventure. I will be there on the 23 of this month :blob1: It will be a quick trip on the way home from a wedding. I just got my 500 lbs hitch mounted cargo carrier. I also just found out that my sister that has a masters degree in geology will be going with us.

I have been told to look for the darker material and material that has crystals in it.

If you have more input I would to hear it.

Thanks and Bless
Shawn

Barclay

Re: Nethers farm
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 04:00:13 PM »

I went there 3-4 years ago.  it is a working farm in the backroads of Ohio.  There were no advertising signs so if you drove past the address you are looking at another farm.  I don't know if the port-a-potties were visible from the road.  It is polite to check in with Mrs. Nethers so she knows someone is out there.  She is a really nice person.  I forgot what she charges per pound, but it was very reasonable.  The rock areas are holes across the dirt road in the woods.  As i recall there are three distinct patters to be had, cow (black splotches on a white background), pinstripe (thin black lines on a white background) and lightning bolt (thin white lines on a black background).  Some have pockets of quartz crystals also.  I met an old flint knapper out there.  He was hitting pieces of flint with a large copper weight.  If they went "ting" and kind of rang like a bell then they were solid enough for knapping.  If they went "klunk" then there was a crack or "cheesy" soft area and they got tossed aside.  If you bake this material the iron particles give the pieces large colorful splotches of red, orange and yellow.  You can google the particulars.  I have yet to bake mine.

fossilman

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 08:17:21 AM »

A few chances have happened there... Death in the family and certain rules...
As for treating the material,I treat mine,it really brings in the colors of the flint!
Good luck on the venture....
God,family and life!!

Back

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 02:21:49 PM »

Hi All

Thanks for the input. I am getting a little nervous. I will be there in less than 2 weeks. The last info is from around June/July 2116.

fossilman If you have updated info please let me know.

Plan is to be out there Sunday the 23rd for about 4 hours on the way home from a wedding. My sister I plan on her being with us will be helping my kids and my wife look for color and crystal. I will scout ahead because I will be driving a loaded mini van and will have to park on the out side.

I just got my 500lbs hitch carrier so we can load up on some bigger stones that will go in  her rock garden :glasses9:

So many things can go wrong. Will keep you updated

Bless
Shawn

fossilman

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 08:29:33 AM »

Here is a bit of info I pulled off the internet...

http://mcrocks.com/ftr10-1/StreeterSeptember2010.html
God,family and life!!

fossilman

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 08:32:41 AM »

One more on Youtube...

https://youtu.be/ngofVbwtGcU
God,family and life!!

Back

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 04:06:18 AM »

Hi All

The van is loaded and we are going. It is to be in the low 40's and rain. I will be back home on Monday with something if they are open.

Thanks for the links. from Mike I had not seen that one.

Later and bless
Shawn

Back

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 11:58:23 AM »

Hi all

We made it back with 106lbs of rock. I dont even know where to start sorting. I do have a 2 gal. bucket that I gathered and most are less than 3" long. I have picked up 4 pieces and see cool cab in each.

More to come

Bless
Shawn

PhilNM

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2017, 02:43:54 PM »

start by heat treating all of it in a kiln. after that. you can sort it by color and pattern. I forget the temps, but I'm sure someone else can clue you in on details.

Back

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 09:47:29 AM »

Hi All

Still recovering from the trip. Big head ache. The van started leaking oil and by the time we got home it was going 1 qt per 100 miles. I planed to get it in the shop today but as my luck would have it last night the grand am service engine light came on and started bucking and stalling. It almost did not make it to the shop. Died 3 times on the way. Now I am down to my gas guzzling suv and the front left drive shaft is going out  :Bash:

Back on topic

We met Mrs Nethers and she was wonderful. She told us that a new pit was scheduled to be opened on April 22 but it didnt happened but will be soon.

We did find an out cropping that had green in it but after dulling the edge of 3 rock hammers had to give up. That stuff was very hard and I did not bring any other tools.

I do not have a kiln but have read about the turkey roaster way. I am now looking for a 500 degree one. From what I have read about Nethers farm chert it cooks from 450 degree to up to 600 degrees. If I remember correctly Tom's cook temp is 503 degrees so I think that is as close as I can get.

Well I am off now to put something on the saw.

More to come
Bless
Shawn

Back

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2017, 11:21:53 AM »

Hi All

first rock and first slab and I am happy. I have to make a cab out of it. no heat treat needed.

Bless
Shawn

fossilman

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2017, 06:54:53 AM »

Hi All

Still recovering from the trip. Big head ache. The van started leaking oil and by the time we got home it was going 1 qt per 100 miles. I planed to get it in the shop today but as my luck would have it last night the grand am service engine light came on and started bucking and stalling. It almost did not make it to the shop. Died 3 times on the way. Now I am down to my gas guzzling suv and the front left drive shaft is going out  :Bash:

Back on topic

We met Mrs Nethers and she was wonderful. She told us that a new pit was scheduled to be opened on April 22 but it didnt happened but will be soon.

We did find an out cropping that had green in it but after dulling the edge of 3 rock hammers had to give up. That stuff was very hard and I did not bring any other tools.

I do not have a kiln but have read about the turkey roaster way. I am now looking for a 500 degree one. From what I have read about Nethers farm chert it cooks from 450 degree to up to 600 degrees. If I remember correctly Tom's cook temp is 503 degrees so I think that is as close as I can get.

Well I am off now to put something on the saw.

More to come
Bless
Shawn

The recipe is a 100 Degrees per hour (Holding),than bump it up another 100 degrees (hold),do this till desired temp is met,(Hold,for an hour).. Than start back down with same hourly hold,per 100 degrees....
God,family and life!!

Orrum

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2017, 07:45:00 PM »

Flint Ridge will take all the heat you can give it up to 600 or so plus more if needed the second go round. Remember to take it down in heat slow the same way plus leave it till cool all thru the middle b4 taking it out.

edgarscale

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2017, 07:43:46 AM »

can someone give me directions from buffalo, to this farm.  i'm on my way to bargetown, kentucky to visit friends, if it's close enough to my father-in-laws' i might just visit him too.  mary..

50% rockhound and 50% wire wrap
       ='s one great pendant

Back

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2017, 10:24:12 AM »

Hi and welcome here.

These are the dirrections my Sister put in her GPS and we got there no problem.

I don't know why, but if you try to Mapquest or Google Map the location, you should use 3890 Flint Ridge Road, Hopewell Ohio - even though the actual address is 3680, 3890 will put you right on the driveway entrance to the farm. If you want to make sure that this location is still open and accessible, you could call the Nethers at 740-787-2263

We met MRS Nethers and she was a very nice lady.

Some more new slabs.

Bless
Shawn
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 55 queries.