Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gunther diamond gem drill  (Read 1440 times)

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Gunther diamond gem drill
« on: November 22, 2020, 05:48:28 PM »

Hi, I saw a video for the Gunther diamond drill system and was wondering if anyone had any knowledge about the drill. It has been sold at the Tucson show in recent years . Thanks.

kent

• Fine Woodwork and Lapidary
Re: Gunther diamond gem drill
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 06:45:51 AM »

Interesting set up. I like the centering post idea for alignment once you drill part way through a stone, you flip it over and continue drilling so you minimize the chip out at the hole. Looks like you could just purchase the drill bits and cooling system and center post (for specific drill size) and adapt to any drill press. The Proxxon drill press they sell is a 240 volt so they are selling a transformer to accommodate standard US 120 volt systems. This boosts the price up substantially. The 120 volt version of this drill press is readily available in the US through other sources. So for ~ $ 400.00, if you have a drill press, you could utilize their system.

I wonder why they didn't design a water tray into the system. One that you could control the direction of the cooling water....tray.. hose to even a bucket would be cleaner.

I would be curious if having a piece bearing only on a surface that equals the diameter of a drill bit would tend to point load the stone more (concentrate the drill press force) leading to breakage.     

Slabbercabber

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 07:17:34 AM »

It would appear that the entire setup would need to be used in a tub.   Not the ideal situation but other than that it looks like a quality unit.  I would be more likely to just get the water chuck system and build my own around a bench mount drill press.  Then again, I love building machinery.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2020, 11:22:58 AM »

It is a water swivel drill and I have one that is average quality. I use it for bangle sized holes and I just use a plastic tub on the drill press table and that works fine. This drill would be for small diameters which use much less water so water won't be a big problem.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 33 queries.