Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wileys Well 2016 *Updated, trip report added  (Read 5712 times)

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
Re: Wileys Well 2016
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2016, 07:39:40 PM »

wish i was close enough to go there, then head over to the public digging area for fire agate lol  :Digging:

ToTheSummit

Re: Wileys Well 2016
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2016, 05:18:27 PM »

OK, lets try to get some pictures posted from the trip.  I envy all the snowbirds who winter here.  This area is great and I can see myself exploring it a lot more in the future.  I love camping and I love deserts and I love rocks so its a trifecta for me!

Although I usually camp alone in the back country I decided to stay at the campground this time. It was nice because I was able to set camp and leave my stuff there all week without worrying about something being stolen (the camp host keeps a pretty close eye on things).  And its not like the scenery around the campsite sucks.  Here is Thumb Peak as seen from my camp.

Birds were everywhere.  Songbirds were singing and chirping throughout the day and it made it relaxing to sit in camp when I had down time.  I even had a hummingbird almost land in my lap while quietly reading one afternoon.  And every morning there was a large covey of quail that would run through my camp.  I only was able to snap a quick pic of them.

One day I heard a couple hawks creating quite a ruckus screeching and diving at each other.  I snapped a picture from afar but it wasn't until I got home and enlarged the photo I figured out what all the fuss was about...one of them had caught a rodent for lunch and the other no doubt wanted in on the action.

Another thing that makes this area unique is the nearby military site/bombing range.  This results in lots of low flying aircraft.  At least once or twice a day something cool would fly over.  The most impressive was a C-130 transport about 200 feet off the deck, but I got no picture of that one.  I did snap a quick shot of a helicopter and an osprey.

I borrowed a quad from a guy for this trip.  I can see why rockhounds like them!  It made exploring so much easier and I was able to see places I'd never have gone in my truck.  Here it is sitting on the "Pebble Terrace".

And speaking of Pebble Terrace, this is a pretty interesting area.  It is old gravel beds deposited by the Colorado river eons ago.  The river is now many miles from here, but the gravel beds remain and they contain rock from the entire Colorado drainage system.  Its like rockhounding in Colorado, Utah, Arizona and California all at one site.  You never know what you'll find, and its all river tumbled.  It can be maddening though since its all covered in desert varnish and everything looks the same!

Some people don't like the desert, but I love it!  The stark, rugged beauty and the feeling of desolation has always appealed to me.  I could roam deserts til the day I die and be a happy man...and truth be told, I probably will!  Here is my obligatory selfie with some scenery.  See that dark spot on the valley floor below me?  Thats my quad.

And some more scenery, this time with my truck.

The cacti were, for the most part, not in bloom.  Some of the early bloomers were done and other were not on yet.

Besides the birds there is always the desert reptiles.  There are always lots of lizards.

The only snake I saw had all week an unfortunate encounter with a vehicle earlier that morning.  Poor little guy was still fresh when I came along, but quite dead.  I edited the photo cause no one wants to see his guts popping out

And I came across one large desert tortoise.  He was a bit annoyed that I stopped to photograph him, but I was quick and respectful and didn't disturb him.  Looked as if he'd been munching on a cactus earlier with all the green around his mouth.

Desert sunsets are always spectacular.  I always take lots of sunset photos when I go out. Heres a sampling from 3 different evenings.

Of course the whole purpose of going out there was to dig rocks.  And dig I did!  Only a rockhound would spend 4 hours digging a hole in the side of a mountain only to find nothing and still call it a good day. Haha!  Thats exactly what I got out of this hole...nothing!  Remember, that was a virgin hillside before I started digging here.

And that wasn't the only wasted hole I dug.  At another spot I was digging away when some women came toodling in in an SUV.  They came over and started asking me a bunch of questions about how to hunt geodes.  I had a nice conversation with them and went back to my hole.  Later she came over with a nice little geode she had picked out of some nearby tailings.  She had smashed it open and, voila, amethyst inside!  Meanwhile I found nothing for all my digging in that spot!  LOL  Thats how it goes when digging for geodes.

Of course in the end I did find rocks.  After a few days the picnic table starts to look like this.

I have already shared the large geode.  I collected quite a few others from the same site as the big one.  Nothing too interesting yet as I've been cutting them, but not too boring either.

I picked up this interesting piece of pet wood at pebble terrace.  I have no idea where it came from, only that the Colorado river dumped it here eventually.

And I have some nice little jaspers I picked up.  This one has some neat creamy browns and promising patterns.

And this brecciated one is cool.

Also found a couple artifacts while wandering.  A small piece of pottery and a broken arrowhead.

So thats a quick trip with me out to the desert.  Hope you enjoyed.

Kaljaia

Re: Wileys Well 2016 *Updated, trip report added
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2016, 06:09:05 PM »

Awesome pictures! Looks like a harsh yet beautiful landscape, and those sunsets are stunning. Great rock too- that breccated jasper is really cool.
- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2016, 07:43:07 PM »

Thanks for the trip report and all the excellent pictures!  You saw lots of critters, which is always a plus in my book.  You saw Thumb Peak and we have Thumb Butte.

Robin

ToTheSummit

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2016, 06:24:10 PM »

Started slabbing up another one from this trip today.  "Lost Claim Agate".

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2016, 07:32:17 PM »

Thank you very much, they are wonderful pictures. Packlithic just returned from hiking in the desert around
palm Springs. She did two weeks of day hikes and even met a family of campground hosts that she met down there when she and I hiked and climbed there over a decade ago.The desert has great visual power, I am always very sad when we turn north.

ToTheSummit

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2016, 04:38:09 PM »

Cut a cab from that brecciated stone today.  It cuts and polishes nicely.

Gergis

• Global Moderator
  • "I MILK MY ROCKS"
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2016, 05:20:41 PM »

Damn thats got some nice contrast

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2016, 05:22:30 PM »

Oooh, yummy!  Liking that one lots!   :headbang:
Robin

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2016, 07:28:28 PM »

Cut a cab from that brecciated stone today.  It cuts and polishes nicely.

:Worthy: :Worthy: :Worthy: :Worthy: :Worthy: :Worthy: :Worthy: :Worthy: :Worthy: :Worthy: :Worthy: :Worthy: :Worthy: :Worthy: :Worthy: :Worthy: :Worthy:

Oh that's gorgeous.  I wish I wasn't on a spending freeze right now, because I'd buy that in a New York Minute!

jakesrocks

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2016, 08:19:52 PM »

Dang I miss the Wileys Wells area  :undecided:. Before moving from So. Cal., we used to make it out there at least once a year. Your trip report brings back a lot of great memories. Thanks for taking us along.
A day spent without learning something new is a day wasted.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 47 queries.