Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Porcelain Jasper  (Read 8734 times)

55fossil

Re: Porcelain Jasper
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2016, 04:31:56 PM »

I like chicken but this smells of apathy. So when I see a green stone that is pretty and the seller says it is jade, well I guess it must be jade. And thus another victim is bon of misrepresented rock being sold to a fellow rock hound. Not to mention all the good Owyhee Picture jasper sold on e-bay that looks like brown rhyolite.
Okay, seriously I was trying to have a serious discussion about what establishes a jasper as being "Porcelain:".  I know many sellers will not label any jasper as porcelain because it is such a misused selling tool. One of my jasper discoveries is in both of Hans Gammas books and he has purchased numerous pieces of jasper of my new Deer Sky jasper as well. Looking at the finer pieces of Deer Sky you might label it as a porcelain jasper. I do not ever refer to it as a porcelain jasper. My point is we should look for common ground on using the term "porcelain jasper". Other than using a microscopic study of any given jasper for particulate size I do not see how any jasper can be considered porcelain. But if any one would like to buy some chickens, I got a bunch. Boy they poop a lot.

Kaljaia

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2016, 05:10:09 PM »

Also @Sandsave your rock is gorgeous (whatever we end up calling it) and I look forward to seeing what you make with it!
- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon.

Jhon P

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2016, 07:18:24 PM »

Sorry, I think we are all confused. Is the term porcelain a description of the mineral content or how it was created? Like from clay, porcelain is made from a fine clay. Or is if just a description of the stone and it's qualities. Or a way for sellers to ask more money for it. A way to take advantage of a buyer.
 I have seen sellers trying to push off serpentine as jade.   
I don't know. I am far from
Being an expert. But I can be a smart A** sometimes

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2016, 08:04:52 PM »

Jasper is another of the cryptocrystalline varieties of quartz, but unlike its first cousin agate, jasper is a "cemented product." Instead of silica forming in a nodule or crack, the silica solution slowly permeates a sedimentary material. Over time the silica acts like a glue, cementing the sediment together forming the hard material we call jasper.

In the case of jasper the color often comes from the original layers of sediment and not necessarily from staining caused by the mobile silica solution. Secondary features do sometimes appear in jasper like dendrites, which can form in narrow cracks or displacements in the main mass. In this case they are made up of the same materials one might expect in an agate. Cracks in jasper can be later filled by agate producing mixed stone varieties.

The size and composition of the sediment helps to determine the "hardness" of the final jasper and much of its color. It is also responsible for the ability of the jasper to take a polish. Very fine grained mudstone or siltstone can produce ultra fine particulate jaspers that result in high polish and nearly invisible grain. These are sometimes called porcelain jaspers and are among the highest quality.

Taken from:  http://www.theimage.com/newgems/quartz/jasper/

I miss Ron.  He was a wealth of information.
Robin

finegemdesigns

• finegemdesigns
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2016, 11:41:27 PM »

Well, I recall attending numerous gem shows long ago at which the Caress brothers were selling their fine jasper.  If you'll check Hans Gamma's "Picture Jaspers" book, the Caressite spelling is used.

I agree that the name is commonly misspelled.

Well you could be right after all as far as the miner. I just found this reference in a couple of places:

"In 1973 Charlie Caress filed the Big Hole II claim to the north of the Big Hole claim. In 1975 P. Caress filed the Lacey claim to the south of the Big Hole claim. Ed Brandt filed the Amy Ellen claim overlapping a portion of the southern part of the Christine Marie claim. The Amy Ellen claim has a long tall rock formation on it referred d to as "the pinnacle."

Source: http://reddingblogs.com/shastagemandmineralsociety/files/2012/08/Roc-Toc-August-20125.pdf

It's odd but I've never seen your gem spelling used anywhere else and Silver Streams

http://www.silverstreams.com/catalog/item/1980733/1394762.htm

is using Carrasite as are many other sellers. So I have been using Carrasite also and wish everyone could agree on one trade name to avoid confusion by buyers.

Sandsave

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2016, 10:43:28 AM »

Well I didn't mean to bring up so much discussion by the naming of my post! There is a gentleman I try and take rockhounding once a month or so. He's in his 80s now and has been a rock hound over 60 years. I take him out because he really enjoys it as he can't drive that far and he shows me places not found in any rockhound book. He called it Porcelain Jasper as we were headed up to collect.
I am no expert by any means!  It is very hard maybe a 7, takes a very high shine!
So I went with what I was told it was.
What I do know is it's very beautiful material when finished.

Sandsave

hummingbirdstones

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2016, 05:53:27 PM »

I'm thinking your older friend knows exactly what he's talking about.  I have always read (and been told) that a "porcelain" jasper is extremely fine grained and takes a glass polish.  Sounds like that's exactly what you have and it's beautiful stuff, too!   :icon_sunny:
Robin

ToTheSummit

« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2016, 08:36:13 AM »

I found out quickly when I got into lapidary a few years back that names can be confusing when it comes to lapidary materials.  As far as the term 'porcelain' goes this is what I figured out on my own.

A- As a descriptor of material it refers to the very hard jaspers that are extremely fine grained and take a great polish.  Bruneau, morrisonite, willow creek and imperial could all be examples.

B- As a trade name it refers to the particular variety previously mentioned in this thread.  Someone mentioned it is mined in Mexico, but I don't know that part.  It is generally a white matrix broken up with dark, reddish/black lines and has wavy patterns in pastel grays and pinks.  I have a bucket full of this stuff and sent some out in some of the boxes I recently shared with people here.

yukonjade

« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2016, 10:26:45 AM »

Can we have an ---AhMEN ?    :Worthy:

Jhon P

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2016, 11:28:33 AM »

AMEN!  it was great fun    now what is the next discussion? and I am still confused

hummingbirdstones

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2016, 01:47:22 PM »

Exactly right!  The "porcelain" jaspers were called that way before the trade name porcelain jasper was every introduced to the market.   :WEEEE:
Robin

phrankhansen

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2016, 04:07:06 PM »

Jay,

how about some pics of finished spheres or cabs with that jasper?

Sandsave

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2016, 06:43:41 PM »

Here's a sphere from my last outing. To bad your leg held you back there was a ton of good cab size material up where we dug these bigger rocks out.
Here's another pic that shows the shine, a pic of last month cab contest

phrankhansen

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2016, 08:00:58 PM »

thanks for posting the pic.  Its a beautiful sphere with a great shine.  I hope to get the boot off in 3 more weeks then I should be good to go. 

Jhon P

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2016, 08:57:47 PM »

it shines up like a porcelain jasper. that stuff just wants to polish and shine.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 55 queries.