Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Amber trails  (Read 1412 times)

Asianfire

• Global Moderator
Amber trails
« on: March 07, 2016, 05:31:35 AM »

Got some time to try out the amber I got last week.

First off, a splinter that came off the first piece to play with.

Cut a slab from the heavily included piece with my foredome. a 2x1 inch section. Everything crumbled, and this was the only piece substantial, to be saved. Any further piece from this stone will from now on be numbered 1...something.

Will not do that again. After having everything crumbling on me. I took the long way round, and took the hacksaw to it. Resulting in fracture free starting-points.

Yesterday, I tried an extra that came with the shipment. I now got a new perspective and even more respect for people like Przemysław Kuś. In many ways, this stuff behaves like quartz crystal. Just as brittle, and no internal colour can be trusted. But, when it works, it works out great.Trying out splinters and breakaways from the amber I got. It looks like, one needs to stay away from inclusions as they are very weak points. Light touch, and very similar than working Quartz crystal overall. No wonder that the guys need such a huge piece to start with, if you need to clean it up and only use pure sections. The second piece I tried yesterday has nice colour, but does not seem to turn blue the way I see it at any angle. Nevertheless, it turned out interesting. Just trying to test how the light functions in this material. So no balance, but interesting despite of it.

And finally, a small piece that came off, while cutting a slabette from a cleaner piece (Number two something from now on).

So, needs a careful touch and preferably carbon burs plus slower speed. But I'm quite happy with what turned out today. Just needs to be finished with toothpicks to get into tight spaces.

Tghanks for looking, Kurt
Anything not given, is lost.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
Re: Amber trails
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 06:44:39 AM »

Great job getting a feel for this material, Kurt!   :icon_sunny:  From what I've read years ago now, amber is so soft and brittle that you have to stay away from any heat build up.  I'm guessing you could carve this manually with diamond files or sandpaper and be just fine.  On a really old forum I used to be on years ago (I'm talking 10+ years ago), I remember reading that to polish amber, folks would just rub it on their jean pant legs.  That made enough heat to polish it perfectly.

Love the pattern in that snail.  It's perfect! 
Robin

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 09:27:53 AM »

Very interesting. I need to review my amber books. A completely differnt medium is a rare thing but it sounds like your learning curve is well along.

Asianfire

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 02:20:31 PM »

Very interesting. I need to review my amber books. A completely differnt medium is a rare thing but it sounds like your learning curve is well along.
It's a nice challenge for a change. In many ways it behaves like quartz, but is as soft and brittle as a calcite crystal. I'm a bit disappointed about the colour though as it is neither the kind of blue that I expected, nor glowing bright (except in very thin pieces) that usually gets my attention. The colour, reminds me of your American opal.
Anything not given, is lost.

Kaljaia

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 04:43:38 PM »

Beautiful forms though! Love the shapes you have captured within the carvings.
- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon.

ToTheSummit

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 12:18:12 PM »

I know very little about amber, but you seem to be having no trouble learning to work with it. Your forms are always very pleasing and your skills as a carver are to be envied.  This is no exception.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 37 queries.