Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Oregon pet wood  (Read 1323 times)

Stonemon

Oregon pet wood
« on: May 09, 2019, 05:35:11 PM »

A friend has been collecting for years but does not have equipment to work any of it.
He brought a couple of pieces up last week and I put them in the Frantom.
Polished them with Richardson style high speed sander.
The dark one has square holes after halite, salt bog wood from the mid Willamette valley.

Bill

Ryaly2dogs

Re: Oregon pet wood
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 05:50:43 PM »

Wow, those are gorgeous!   :drool:

Really nice work that will bring a huge smile to your friend's face.  I have some other "pitted" Oregon pet wood slices that I will need to take another look at because your "holes after halite" comment struck a chord; is that common for Oregon pet wood?  Is the first one perhaps a cherry wood?  Also, what "grit" was your final touch on these beauties?  Thanks for sharing.

Stonemon

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 06:18:55 PM »

I don't know the variety on these. My academic adviser at the U of O was professor Bill Orr and he explained the odd shaped holes in class one day.
I guess it is fairly common in the mid Willamette valley. Not sure how widespread.
I started sanding at 40 grit then 60, 120, 240, 320, 400, 600, 800, and ended at 1000. Then on to a felt pad loaded with 50,000 diamond paste.
The lighter colored one took a nice matte to low gloss finish, very tactile while the darker one took a higher shine but is quite different to feel...

Bill

Kaljaia

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 08:07:42 PM »

Both are lovely wood. The top one especially, it still retains the natural "character" of the wood. The matte finish I think helps, it's not so glossy that the reflection distracts from the texture.
- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 10:36:23 PM »

That big slab must have been fun to hold up against the richardsons sander.  That thing catches an edge it would kill someone.

Stonemon

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 06:11:34 AM »

That big slab must have been fun to hold up against the richardsons sander.  That thing catches an edge it would kill someone.

I always work at an angle sanding off the trailing edge. As Clint Eastwood said, "Dying is no way to make a living."
I caught a small one once and have been very intentional since then. :shocked:

Bill

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2019, 08:35:14 AM »

Nice work , good advice. Having seen people die at work  that quote is very meaningful to me.My Dad was  a roof bolter in a mine and one day he told his crew to abandon the drift they were working in and go to a different level.During their extended lunch most of the drift they had been working in collapsed.I worked lots of dangerous jobs and never thought  that the risk of  dying at work made sense for what we were getting paid.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 39 queries.