Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First hard stone carving. BooHoo  (Read 4201 times)

wampidy

• A ring on the hand is worth two on the bush
First hard stone carving. BooHoo
« on: December 02, 2015, 07:39:07 AM »

WooHoo, I get to put up the first jade carving thread. The only problem is "this is my first hard stone carving and it may be crap" but what the hell, ya gotta start somewhere.

I cut these two pieces out of a slab that was given to me by Tommy on RTH so I am not sure where it came from. What I cut out is the translucent places in the slab. I figured they would be the solidest part. One is and the other has broken twice but I am going to continue and see what happens. The smaller piece looks kind of like a squid and the larger piece looks like smoke rising from a fire then scattering to the wind. Not sure what it will look like when finished.

My hat is off to you Kurt. Didn't take long to find out how far you have come with your carving. This is a whole other world.

I have a problem with not having anything to use between grinding and polishing so it looks like I will be doing a lot of sanding. I have only started with 320 paper and now I am going to try 400 or 600 and see where it goes. Kurt talks a lot about sanding so if you want the pie you have to pick the berries I guess.
Jim

These photos were taken when I first started but I used them anyway because not too much has changed.

I threw a stone into the air.
It came to earth "ouch"
I now know where.
You can quote me on this, I have the scar.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Re: First hard stone carving. BooHoo
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 07:40:43 AM »

I have some argillite in the yard , you want to try some?

wampidy

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 07:50:12 AM »

I do not have a clue what that stone is but if it carves and polishes easier than jade I am all for it. Thank you for the offer. I can not use a piece that is so big I would have to cut it because my saw is useless until spring. I do have a 6 inch trim saw for smaller stuff.
Jim
It came to earth "ouch"
I now know where.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 05:32:01 PM »

Hi, Give me some exact measurements and I will get out to the rockyard.

wampidy

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 06:25:07 PM »

Hi, Give me some exact measurements and I will get out to the rockyard.

2" x 4" x 8' No wait, that would be too long to get through my door. lol You ask some pretty tough questions because I don't know until I see the rock what I want to carve. How about this, something thin enough to go into a small flat rate box and not over 3" wide so I can cut it off if I need to. The length can be anything that will fit into the box too. Okay Frank, got off my lazy butt and dug out a box just for you. Max is 1.5" X 5" X 8" so anything under that would be okay. I can cut a 5" width by flipping it or cutting part way and smacking it with a hammer. Sometimes a hammer cut is way more inspiring than a block as long as fractures don't occur in the process.

Thank you again my friend.
Jim
It came to earth "ouch"
I now know where.

Asianfire

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 07:39:41 PM »

The smaller one reminds me at first sight of a bird.
Anything not given, is lost.

wampidy

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 03:32:23 AM »

The smaller one reminds me at first sight of a bird.

Oh please please don't make me do a bird head Kurt. hahaha I am having a hard time with an abstract squid and I am not doing it in the round. All my carving has been relief carving so a matching other half is something else I have no experience with. I probably have 50 burrs but I am mostly working with files.

I have many other projects in the works so this has been set aside until I get the new files that I ordered yesterday.
Jim
It came to earth "ouch"
I now know where.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2015, 09:24:44 AM »

It has been so windy here for a month that my yard is hardly ever safe to go look at rocks.When mother nature stops showering my yard with man sized jagged tree limbs I will find a few things . I have some ideas for a variety.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 42 queries.