Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fun with matrix colors - turquoise and chrysocolla  (Read 998 times)

Rosemaryr

Fun with matrix colors - turquoise and chrysocolla
« on: March 21, 2019, 06:37:48 PM »

So I am working on shaping some pieces, when I started on two that really took me aback.  One was a piece of turquoise that was covered in almost solid pyrite matrix.  The other was a piece of chrysocolla from my dad's hometown of Ray, AZ.  When I started grinding away at the turquoise, I was immediately covered in black ink (which I should have expected if I thought about iron pyrite at all).  But what amused me even more was the bright orange residue from the tan matrix of the chrysocolla.  Thought I would share the amusement....and wonder what would make it orange?  Any clues?

Scalebar

Re: Fun with matrix colors - turquoise and chrysocolla
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 02:19:40 AM »

I cut my first piece of chrysocolla this weekend. I assumed the orange came from copper 1 compounds - mine had distinct red-brown components.  It was odd stuff to work with - wildly varying hardness with the various minerals the red areas were extremely soft which might fit with cuprite.

Rosemaryr

Re: Fun with matrix colors - turquoise and chrysocolla
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 08:39:44 AM »

I cut my first piece of chrysocolla this weekend. I assumed the orange came from copper 1 compounds - mine had distinct red-brown components.  It was odd stuff to work with - wildly varying hardness with the various minerals the red areas were extremely soft which might fit with cuprite.

Cuprite would certainly make sense.  I just thought that cuprite would be much more red than brown.  Live and learn!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 32 queries.