Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: cleaning oil from saw tray  (Read 1179 times)

robirdman

cleaning oil from saw tray
« on: June 04, 2019, 04:26:28 AM »

I have an 14" saw and want to clean and repaint it. I was using dishwasher detergent, but maybe didn't have enough. The saw sat unused for decades and a lot of the rock dust is firmly caked onto the tray, while there is still some moisture from remaining oil in parts.  I had to vigorously scrape to get most of the caked stuff off.  Still oily feel and residue in parts.  Is there a recommended procedure for this?

ileney

Re: cleaning oil from saw tray
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 08:52:11 AM »

Did you use any old dish detergent cleaner or original version of Dawn? Try that first. Some people use acetone carefully when all else fails but you have to be careful because it can etch the machine parts and isn't great for you! I'm sure others have better ideas of other products in between and better advice. There's probably some listed if you do a search from the home page of refurbishing / cleaning saw.

Kaljaia

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 12:58:09 PM »

For cleaning oily rock, I've had good luck with hot water and Dawn extra strength, and even then it takes some elbow grease with a tooth brush or scrub brush to lift the oil off. Do you know if it was mineral oil or another lubricant?
- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon.

robirdman

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 05:01:28 PM »

I remembered that years ago, when my hands would be caked with SiC from tumbling and oil from cutting, I found that mixing a dish detergent and Borax had some kind of reaction that was more effective than anything else.  As I ran out of dishwashing  detergent, today, I mixed borax with laundry detergent and cleaned a 10g pail that I had used to clean oil and was extremely dirty with oily and caked rock dust.  I'm going to get some Dawn and mix with Borax for use with the rest of the saw and areas that are still incomplete.

kent

• Fine Woodwork and Lapidary
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2019, 12:10:25 PM »

I've used "Simple Green" with good success. Spray it on full strength and let it sit a bit then hose off and scrub with a stiff nylon bristle brush.
Its a great de-greaser.

Slabbercabber

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 12:40:07 PM »

Engine degreaser is the easiest and cheapest.  Oven cleaner will get it also but be careful as it will destroy bearings and remove paint.

gunsil

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2019, 05:25:26 AM »

Slabber has it. Engine degreaser from your auto parts store is the best. "Gunk" is a major brand and can be found at Walmart also.

catmandewe

• Global Moderator
    • Idaho Rock Shop
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2019, 08:47:45 AM »

"Totally Awesome" degreaser from the $1 store works real good.
After you get it clean wipe down the whole thing with acetone before you paint, even oils from your fingers will keep the paint from sticking right so dont touch the surface with your fingers after you wipe it down.

Tony
www.IdahoRockShop.com

Authorized Diamond Pacific Dealer

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2019, 12:18:41 PM »

Same as above I have used engine degreaser and works like a charm.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 43 queries.