Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nelson Machine Works Rotary Lap  (Read 1175 times)

VanViking

Nelson Machine Works Rotary Lap
« on: October 23, 2019, 10:03:24 AM »

I just purchased a Nelson Machine Works (Portland Oregon) Rotary Flat Lap Model 16A. It appears to be in great shape, just need to rewire. I have never used a rotary flat lap, and was wondering if anyone out there has any experience with this type of machine. Also what about accessories, any information on that would be appreciated also. I have a couple Nelson slab saws and really like the way they are built. The stuff on the bottom shelf was gone when I picked this thing up, I was told they went to another machine...

Slabbercabber

Re: Nelson Machine Works Rotary Lap
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2019, 05:06:24 AM »

In general, flat laps tend to be slower than drum types.  Where they excel is doing flats.  If your saw is well tuned, the flat lap can do a mirror surface on two slabs at a time.  I would advise against diamond paste and instead use SiC discs.  Paste is very slow.  Diamond discs are available but pretty expensive.

VanViking

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2019, 09:19:35 AM »

Thanks for the reply, but this has a steel wheel that has the same groves as my vibratory lap. I have thought about putting a sanding disc wheel on top of the steel lapping plate, but would like to know how this was intended to be used. the pan under it is cupped to catch fluid, and I think they used oil as a drip on this one, but not positive. My intention is to use this to get the saw marks off of my slabs, but again would like to know a little for about this particular lap. It was built in the 60s, by Nelson Machine Works out of Portland Oregon, but like the saws I have, there is not much information out there about them.

Slabbercabber

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2019, 05:42:45 AM »

It was intended to be used with loose grit.  I tried that once but found it very frustrating.  On the positives side you will learn a lot by doing it that way and if you already have tumbling grit around the learning is really cheap.  One thing that will save you time.  Start at the smallest size grit that will get you there.  RPM for grit will be smaller that for disks so you don't throw the grit off the wheel.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 33 queries.