Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Graveyard or What?  (Read 986 times)

iamrockaholic

Graveyard or What?
« on: October 02, 2018, 08:39:53 PM »

We purchased a rock in Colorado last year marked "Graveyard Point Plume".  Hubby recently started slabbing it up and it looks nothing like the Graveyard that I've ever seen.  Since it has no points or plumes, I don't want to mis-label it incorrectly since I'm not convinced it is Graveyard.  Hubby said then just label it Graveyard agate, I'm not convinced.  Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated (and help our little "squabble"). 

yukonjade

Re: Graveyard or What?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 08:05:52 AM »

Leaverite----------------- " leave it where you found it"

iamrockaholic

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 09:30:29 AM »

Yukonjade, I would agree with that except I have about 40 slabs of this stuff to try to sell!  Come to think of it, if I list it as "Leaverite" on e-Bay someone will buy it!  You're too funny.

cnyle

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 07:15:29 PM »

Yukonjade, I would agree with that except I have about 40 slabs of this stuff to try to sell!  Come to think of it, if I list it as "Leaverite" on e-Bay someone will buy it!  You're too funny.
I’m from the PaleoPlanet Flintknapping forums. You might not know the answer to this question or it could be sacrilegious to this forum but do you think this material might be knappable?

Charles

bilquest

• Rocks and Stuff
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 08:02:37 PM »

I go with coprolite on the unidentifieds... it markets to the 'novelty' collector, and who's gonna argue?

iamrockaholic

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2018, 09:47:29 PM »

Charles, I have a lot of Chert from Ohio, this is sharp enough but its full of fractures that appear to go all the way through.  I don't know that much about knapping so I can't really answer the question.  I will ask the boss when he gets up in the morning.  I think YukonJade probably has the best name "leaverite", except it has the prettiest blues in the mix.

Kaljaia

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2018, 01:25:16 PM »

I'd cut it into tiles for mosaic, if it doesn't have internal fractures and is of even thickness.

I think you ran into the problem with exchanging a material name for a location name- just because it came from Graveyard Point location doesn't make it plume material, but if it's a hard material from the same dig as the better stuff, people will just sell it under the trade name and ignore the part where it's entirely matrix or host rock.

(Bilquest you weren't the one marketing dud thunder eggs as coprolite at Madras a few years back, were you?)  :smiley:
- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon.

55fossil

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2018, 06:53:01 PM »

I think some people sell crap stones as Coprolite thinking it is funny.....  Yep, you just bought 5 pounds of worthless crap......   Luckily most sellers are honest about what they are selling.

As for variety of rock, Graveyard Point has Sagenite, many types of agate other than plume and some very unusual jasper as well. I had a claim there for many years as well as just busting through the hills to see what was just laying around. Your rock could very well be from GP and is not coprolite in my book!

cnyle

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2018, 04:14:03 PM »

Charles, I have a lot of Chert from Ohio, this is sharp enough but its full of fractures that appear to go all the way through.  I don't know that much about knapping so I can't really answer the question.  I will ask the boss when he gets up in the morning.  I think YukonJade probably has the best name "leaverite", except it has the prettiest blues in the mix.
Thanks for replying. If it has fractures going through it probably wouldn’t knap very well. I found this forum while searching for information on jasper. When I saw your post I thought hmm I wonder what kind of material you had. It’s very nice looking though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 43 queries.