Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Landscaping  (Read 11980 times)

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
Re: Landscaping
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2014, 05:18:06 PM »

So I had a productive day.
I spent about three hours this afternoon outside working on various projects.

Yesterday I had bought a red pot and some small cactus and succulents to create a home for the Gnome that showed up on my doorstep mysteriously several weeks ago.  Well he has a proper home now and sits in the pot right where the front sidewalk meets the driveway.  Once I get my order of gravel in, the pot will be surrounded by gravel and it will look neat and tidy there.

I purchased a dwarf pomegranate yesterday and it was half dead.  But at $10 I couldn't go wrong.  I trimmed off the dead stuff, and up potted it into a larger pot with better soil.  Should be fine.  Once it is in better health I will plant it out into the landscape.

I managed to get all the herbs planted in the herb garden area as well.  Now all I need is my order of stone so I can lay down my stone mulch and the area will be complete.  The only thing not planted yet is the African Iris back by the one boulder that I bought because of the flower color - a creamy white with a purple center.  The care tag said a part sun area.  That works for this spot.

I also up potted several mesquite trees into larger pots that I had started from seed this past summer.  I did not want the roots to start circling in the small 3 inch pots I had started them in. 

Itsandbits

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2014, 06:17:57 PM »

That looks like the travel gnome; maybe it's a hint from the neighbours LOL
Looking good out there though; you're going to have to give us a house tour LOL
rocks and people have a lot in common; one persons "leaverite" is anothers treasure

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2014, 08:49:17 PM »

Actually my neighbors are out of town right now.  So who knows?
So far I have no beefs with my neighbors, they all seem pretty nice.   Our next door neighbors are maybe a hair older than Peter and I with no kids.  The neighbors with the mini horse and goats down at the end of the culdesac are probably early 50's, a couple kids still at home but look to be leaving the nest soon.  All decent people. 

I cleaned out all the icicle radishes from a pot of squash today.  Since the squash plant had died, and Peter hates radishes I saw no point keeping the radishes around, so I took them and the greens down to the neighbor with goats.  You'd swear I fed those goats crack.  They were fighting over the stuff!  My neighbor was laughing as she had never seen her two goats behave like that!  So I made a couple new four legged friends today.

Bentiron

« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2014, 03:14:50 PM »

The cactus in your red pot should handle the winters just fine but that euphorbia is pretty frost tender, there are members of the family that are more tolerant of the cold than that one. The one cactus on the left is very interesting. An interesting addition to the landscape is agaves, there are so many different types  that you can just go kinda nuts with them, fun plants to collect.

Minkos61

« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2014, 03:17:50 PM »

Looking really good Amanda  :headbang:
Ernie

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2014, 04:44:34 PM »

The cactus in your red pot should handle the winters just fine but that euphorbia is pretty frost tender, there are members of the family that are more tolerant of the cold than that one. The one cactus on the left is very interesting. An interesting addition to the landscape is agaves, there are so many different types  that you can just go kinda nuts with them, fun plants to collect.

Yeah I was wondering about that euphorbia.  I think if we are expecting some serious cold I will just move the pot into the garage - which means about three feet!
I do have one agave - which I planted today that Eric gave me at my housewarming party.  Very beautiful small agave he said is a Shark Skin Agave.   I will probably get some more as time goes on.  Right now I'm waiting to landscape the sides and the other side of the driveway till after I see where our new fence will go through and where the gates are going to either side as well.  I don't want to plant something and have to then move it because it's in the driving path going up to the RV gate we are having put into the front wall.

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2014, 05:53:29 PM »

remember citrus.
Lime, lemons & oranges.

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2014, 06:10:28 PM »

remember citrus.
Lime, lemons & oranges.

They are on the list for planting on the East side of the house after our block wall fence is built.
Peter wants a Mandarin Orange and an Apple.
I want Plums and Apricots.

I already have the fig tree and the persimmon tree. 

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2014, 11:19:20 AM »

So of all the places to hit caliche....
We hit it digging our fake stream bed out.   Never hit an ounce of it digging holes for trees.
We need to dig six inches down to hollow out the fake drainage streambed and hit the caliche three inches down.   :BangHead:
Right now we have water soaking into it to attempt loosening it up a bit.  The tiller makes a decent dent in it, but only can get through about an inch at a time.  I'm going to try the 35 lb digging bar next.  If neither of those work I'm going to inquire with my one neighbor at the end of the culdesac and see if he has a pickaxe. 

At least we think it's caliche, it's in a very strange spot to be caliche as it's on the man made slope on the yard.  It could be hard packed soil from construction equipment but dang this stuff is like concrete so I really want to think it's caliche.  It even has that off-white color of caliche...

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2014, 03:11:46 PM »

Got the tiller and the digging bar through the caliche, our river bed is fully dug out now!  Took Peter and I about an hour but we got through it.

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2014, 05:57:44 PM »

Gina and I finished the herb garden back on Saturday.  We hauled some rear end and rocked it all in.  I watered everything well yesterday which washed off the stone and when wet the pea gravel is multicolored!  The "Apache Brown" rip rap rock is also a multitude of colors.  As I was watering some of the rocks started showing their true colors.  Absolutely gorgeous! 

Now to just do the other side of the entry and finish the fake river.  It's a work in progress!

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2014, 04:56:19 PM »

We got the fake stream bed all laid out today!

MrsWTownsend

« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2014, 05:05:11 PM »

Wow nice! 

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2014, 05:44:25 PM »

I'm hoping to lay the pond area this weekend while I still have Peter home before he heads back into work.  It was nice having someone much stronger than me to haul rock.  Oh and remember how rickety my wheelbarrow is?  Peter used it today and said something to the effect of, "This thing is crap!"  So I think we will be buying a new one soon!   :toothy12: :laughing6:

iceopals

• Ice
    • Iceopals Jewelry
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2014, 12:40:57 PM »

Oh, that is so lovely.   We need one for a French drain, but haven't gotten there yet.   Grass grows EVERYWHERE, so we really aren't sure it would work here anyway.   
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 55 queries.