Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A all Texan buckle  (Read 3986 times)

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
A all Texan buckle
« on: June 14, 2016, 12:46:16 PM »

I had an idea after a couple buckles to make a State specific buckle.  I looked at my materials from Texas and decided on using 2 different types of plume with the concept of have the center of the buckle be the State outline of Texas which would be one stone and then a sunburst pattern around the outer edge that would alternate to highlight the center.  One of the stone I knew would be another type of plume but these would need to be delicate due to their size in the buckle.  On the other stone for the outer bands I wasn't sure what I wanted to use.  I finally decided on palm wood.  So the center stone if Bouquet Plume Agate from the Singleton Ranch South of Marfa Texas.  The Plume outer bands are Red Plume from the Walker Ranch which is on the South side of the famous Woodward Ranch and this is below Alpine Texas.  The Palm Wood is from Choke Canyon in South Texas.  This was my first Intarsia so it was fun
I started by taking an outline of Texas and the on the computer making a radial array for the background. I then cut these out and glued them to the stones.  The Red Plume I backed with Howlite and the Palm is the same thickness. Since the Bouquet center agate was clear I backed the entire buckle with Basenite and then cut an Optical Quartz cap for the front of the buckle intarsia.  So in places this a quadruplet.

I am adding some process pictures to show how it was made.  The picture of the sandstone and buckle is just to show the how the stone and buckle fit looks. The side view of the Coral buckle is to show how the profile looks before making the stone and buckle one solid radius.

phrankhansen

Re: A all Texan buckle
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 07:55:35 PM »

What a great looking buckle. :occasion14:

cobbledstones

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 07:24:09 AM »

Amazing piece of work right there.  Well done!

55fossil

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 08:55:13 AM »

Very nice, lot of detailed work....  Can I ask where you buy your buckles from???  Neal

jakesrocks

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 09:08:01 AM »

Very interesting buckle. Great workmanship.

Ditto on where you get your buckle blanks at. I'd be interested in a few.
A day spent without learning something new is a day wasted.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 02:39:15 PM »

Gladly, I get them when I am in Quartzsite at Desert Gardens at the Willow Creek booth.  Larry is the Owner of the Willow Creek claim and a super nice guy.  I am including a pic of his buckles chart  On the chart I use the 106yb for large buckles like the Texas one and 103yb for the smaller like the Black Texas Plume.  106 is roughly 74mm x 52mm inside and  103 is roughly 43mm x 60mm  His rectangle buckle #110 is a great size and shape for intarsia also.  Below is his info off his business card.  If you call him you will likely have to mail a check since he doesn't take credit cards.

Also important! my chart is not new so his prices may have changed, I know he was having to change to a new place doing the castings.

Larry and Mary Ridley
Larrys Rocks and Gems
5810 Bogart Lane
Boise, Idaho 83714
phn 208-853-1804

southerly

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 04:07:42 AM »

wow lots of work in that. I have a big belt buckle in progress on the bench, not happy with the finding, would like to find another. It is big almost 4in x 3in. Love the quarts cap idea, I am using dino done, but some is very soft and undercutting badly.

David

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 06:59:11 PM »

Depending on how bad it is you can help it somewhat with the Hxtal, that depends on how big the area is that is undercutting.  I assume that if you are making a buckle with it the bone must have some nice qualities.  Although the Dino buckle I did was solid if I was using top grade material I might consider doing the Quartz cap not necessarily for the cost but to protect the top end material as buckles, at least mine take a beating.

womanwithatorch

• womanwithatorch.com
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2016, 07:46:40 AM »

Thank you for all the pics. Now I guess making a buckle is in my future.
"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I might learn how to do it." Pablo Picasso

Pebblehopper

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2016, 10:24:28 PM »

I've been chomping at the bit to get started on a buckle (fabricating my own) but I think I'll get in touch with Larry. Thanks irockhound!

Sent from my mobile device using Tapatalk since I finished all that I wanted to do in the shop today so I'm just being electronically sociable.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 46 queries.