Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Opal template  (Read 401 times)

pkinnetz

Opal template
« on: April 10, 2022, 07:22:08 AM »

Having just returned from a beginning opal class, I want to try to cut some opals on my own.  There, they used an oval template specifically for  opals. I have searched online but have not yet been able to find one. I thought you learned souls might know where I can purchase one.  Also I have checked out the Diamond Pacific Pixie but it is, I hope, temporarily suspended from manufacturing due to a holdup of the Balfour motors on backorder.  So what suggestions do you folks have for alternate cutting? I have a Lortone expandable wheel, but the highest cut belt I can get is 800. What after that? Buy a set of Nova burs for the Foredom? Buy other Nova wheels? Or just wait until I can get the Pixie? Other suggestions?

vitzitziltecpatl

Re: Opal template
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2022, 09:28:54 AM »

Do you have the millimeter dimensions of that template? If it isn't a standard calibrated size someone probably had it made.

For your Lortone, diamond belts ( https://www.riogrande.com/product/3M112DiamondBelt50000Grit/201687 ) are available. Yes, they are more expensive, but will last so long they're worth it.

Break them in a little with an agate before you use them for opal. Old diamond wheels and belts are perfect for opal even after they are almost too worn out for anything else.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 28 queries.