Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Annual Superbowl Sunday trip....pet wood this time.  (Read 2644 times)

ToTheSummit

Annual Superbowl Sunday trip....pet wood this time.
« on: February 01, 2015, 06:48:07 PM »

So I don't like sports and I started a tradition many years ago of getting far away from televisions on Superbowl Sunday.  This has turned into rockhounding trips in recent years as my lapidary adventures have taken over my life.  This year I decided a trip to a spot where I can collect petrified wood was in order.

I had been shown this spot during a club field trip.  There is a lot of small float to be collected all over the area, but I heard club members tell stories of digging up large pieces here.  So I've been wanting to go back for some time, and what better time of year to dig in the desert than winter?

I got to the area and started scouting it out.  I found a spot with lots of float on the surface and followed the trail up slope until it seemed I got to the spot where it was originating.  I then grabbed the pick and shovel and started to dig.  The soil here is very soft and sandy making digging quite easy.  Most of the native rock here consists of crumbly conglomerates and soft sandstones.  So as I got about 18" down into my hole and the pick hit something hard and made a nice ringing sound I got excited.  Could I really get this lucky on my first hole?

I started excavating around the big rock.  At this point I wasn't even sure if I was just wasting time on a big ol chunk of leaverite.

After a little work I finally got it exposed and cleaned up a bit.  Sure enough, I had struck wood in my first hole!  Woohoo!

I had no idea how large the piece might be.  For all I knew I was exposing the tip of a big log sitting vertically in the ground.  I continued to excavate around it until I had about 12" sticking out.  At this point I still could not get any movement in the stone even with a big prybar.  So I decided it was time to get out the wrecking ball.  A few whacks with a 10lb slegde and off came the fist nice chunk.

Using hammers and prybars I continued to break off all that I had exposed.  It did seem as if there might have been more below still, but I was starting to wear myself out, and the haul was already good enough to make the day a success.

Heres my obligatory self-portrait.  Standing in the hole I dug this time.

Heres a shot to show you the terrain in this area.  It was a gorgeous day in the desert!

Heres todays haul cleaned up and sitting in my driveway.  The stuff in the bin is the float I picked up before starting to dig.  The rest is what came out of the hole I dug.

A closer view of the three largest pieces.  I will call this a successful trip!  :headbang:

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
Re: Annual Superbowl Sunday trip....pet wood this time.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 08:37:02 PM »

very nice stuff, cant wait to see some inside photos!

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 09:10:20 PM »

Now you know why I love the desert!  It's gorgeous down here.  The view - well where else can you hound in a flat valley and look up upon majestic mesas and mountains?   :thumbsup:
Besides an added bonus - no snow.   :icon_sunny:

Itsandbits

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 07:39:17 AM »

looks like you scored your own touchdown LOL I had to do it........
rocks and people have a lot in common; one persons "leaverite" is anothers treasure

ScarlettOSara

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 11:26:33 AM »

wooo hoo  and he scores one for the team... What a haul:)

Bentiron

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 03:54:11 PM »

Amanda, You had better be getting out there and start hounding some, snake season will soon be upon us :sad5:

ToTheSummit

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 03:59:45 PM »

I had a sidewinder at my campfire at 10pm this last October.  I'm beginning to think snake season is all year anymore!  I've never been bit.  Not for lack of trying, mind you.
 :grin:

I've got some great pictures and video of that sidewinder.

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 04:04:34 PM »

snakes just add more fun to the hunt!
.410 snake charmer single shot tiny shotgun!

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 08:29:05 PM »

Amanda, You had better be getting out there and start hounding some, snake season will soon be upon us :sad5:

I have my own back yard to hound.  Just ask Gina!  She's already hounded the vacant lots around me!
I think I will wait till next winter and go out in a mountain or two.  Truthfully I have so many things going on here right now at home base that hounding time is pretty much not available.

ToTheSummit

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2015, 05:47:52 PM »

First cuts are promising.  This stuff looks good!

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2015, 05:59:28 PM »

very nice rock gutz!
i like!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 47 queries.