Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about jewelry making metals  (Read 967 times)

ILMSteve

• Picks of Destiny
Question about jewelry making metals
« on: July 17, 2018, 01:58:30 PM »

Found a nice piece of what I believe to be an agate of some sort at a thrift store. It was Senior Discount Day so I had to have it.

The stone is a nice specimen and I like it. Originally I thought I can make a nice guitar pick from this. 

Looking at it a little more closely I noticed the gold banding.

I know very little about jewelry making and I am wondering if the banding is a plated foil or the real thing. There's no hallmark except for what appears to be a small heart on the ring.

What kind of material will allow you to get the detail of the stone as this has?

If it is the real thing, I will leave it as is. Any help would be appreciated so I don't do something dumb. 

20180717_150004.jpg
*20180717_150004.jpg (132.36 kB . 800x1067 - viewed 278 times)
20180717_150004.jpg
*20180717_150004.jpg (132.36 kB . 800x1067 - viewed 278 times)

gemfeller

• Art Cut Gems
Re: Question about jewelry making metals
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 02:53:55 PM »

Pretty stone.  My guess is that it's been electroformed.  That involves attaching some sort of substrate (these days it's often epoxy clay) to the stone and then coating it with a conductive paint.  It's then placed in a plating bath and metal (often copper or nickel) is deposited from an anode to the substrate.  The electroformed metal can then be plated with gold or silver if desired though it's a somewhat complicated process. 

rocks2dust

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 03:11:16 PM »

I agree: electroformed rim. If you want to turn it into a guitar pick, you wouldn't be wasting much as far as gold content if you cut off the rim.

ILMSteve

• Picks of Destiny
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 03:19:39 PM »

Cool! Thanks! Like I said, I am not aware of the techniques used so I was a bit puzzled by it. I appreciate the answers!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 34 queries.