Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jade Polishing  (Read 2270 times)

Michael

Jade Polishing
« on: November 23, 2017, 02:04:27 PM »

Ok,this not one of those info requests about "orange peeling" when polishing jade.  I have read that phenolic points work just as well as anything in polishing carvings.  I understand that being gentle with these points with the various grades of diamond or polishing oxides is the best.  My question is, what does the term "charging" these points with either diamond or oxides exactly mean?  In other words, how do you go about "charging "a phenolic point to make the best use of these tools?  Thanks. 

Mike

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
Re: Jade Polishing
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 07:28:19 PM »

You need to use different points for each size grit of diamond or different oxides.  Charging happens has you use them.  The diamond will embed itself in the points as you carve.  Either the diamond paste or diamond mixed with oil would be the way to go.  You will have to keep adding either the paste or diamond mix as you work until the point becomes embedded with diamond and is "charged".  Once charged, you can work longer but you will still have to add more diamond when the cutting or polishing action starts to slow down, but at not the same rate as when the points were new.

Oxides obviously are used as a paste made with water, but you should still have separate points for each type of oxide you plan on using.

Keep them all stored separately in ziploc bags or containers to prevent cross contamination.
Robin

55fossil

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 11:13:30 AM »

I have a Graves phenolic spool polisher. It is great for polishing star garnets and any heat sensitive stones. Charging the spool areas is done with a sacrificial stone. I use a polished piece of hard agate to imbed the diamond into the polisher. This allows me to really force the diamond onto the wheel without damage to stones I want to polish. Then as stated you just need to add oil and more diamond grit as needed. Cross contamination is indeed a problem and you need to fully clean your stone when changing grits.
   For small points I am not sure that phenolic points are any better than bamboo or other wood. The phenolic point probably will have a longer life but may be harder to charge.

Michael

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 05:38:36 PM »

Thank you gentlemen.  LF has been one of my "go to" places when I get stumped on certain techniques.  All of you are the best.  Thanks so much!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 34 queries.