Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: replacing wire in pump to 14" saw  (Read 2749 times)

robirdman

replacing wire in pump to 14" saw
« on: June 25, 2019, 01:28:27 PM »

This is related to my post about dismantling that saw but seems sufficiently different to warrant its own post, as possible helpers might be more specialized.  The outer cord from the pump to the motor is brittle and cracking away.  I took apart to a certain extent but am unsure of how to proceed further to get at the wire attachment to the pump motor.  In the picture, the rest of the pump has been removed and the troublesome necessary part is shown.  Looks like metal clips come out somehow.

Slabbercabber

Re: replacing wire in pump to 14" saw
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 10:49:58 AM »

It is a non rebuildable motor.  You can try whatever it takes to get it apart but you will likely find the connection points are buried in the wiring.  Used sump pumps, swamp cooler pumps, and tile saw pumps are cheap.

PhilNM

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 12:45:52 PM »

Peel pumps are very VERY expensive. go to amazon and buy a evaporative cooler pump. Works just as well and lots cheaper. I usually buy these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WR2ZBI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

robirdman

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 11:20:29 PM »

I had to replace the pump that I used to spray SiC slurry for my Ultrasonic Drill and the closest similar new one has such a more powerful spray that the tank fills faster than the drainage below that sends it back for reflow.  So that project came to a halt, while I worked with other things. That older pump had a plastic base that broke, while this saw one is brass, maybe because it is used in oil, but I am worried about something that would work as well.

Slabbercabber

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2019, 04:47:30 AM »

Now I'm confused.  Are you trying to repair a water pump or oil?  Saw or drill?  Does it pump loaded slurry.  If saw, how big is it?

robirdman

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2019, 07:20:02 AM »

This pumps oil for my 14" saw.
The pump I replaced that produced too strong a flow, was for a slurry for an ultrasonic drill, and why I prefer to just replace wiring on the oil pump.

Slabbercabber

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2019, 11:52:06 AM »

This is how I feed oil to my 24" saw.  It is currently configured with an 18" blade.  1/4" Copper tubing on either side shoots as much oil as possible to the blade.  You cannot have too much oil.  The Pump is an old sump pump.  Any pump that can handle water will also handle oil.

kenny

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2019, 05:53:09 PM »

Ok so if I read this right you want to re wire the pump motor?
1. prey the four silver tabs off their slots
2. unscrew the two allthread rods nuts
3. you should be able to remove the cover plates from either end(may have to prey them a little if paint has them stuck).
4. you should be able to slide the armature back or completely out exposing the connectors if they are hard wired you may have to solder on the new wires otherwise just get the proper wire connectors crimp and replace.
if the plates are stuck a flat head screw driver and a few taps with a hammer should break them loose.
hope this is what you want to know

robirdman

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2019, 04:58:34 PM »

The pump I replaced for my Ultrasonic drill says 'for water only' on it. It is plastic, and the closest Grainger had to the original.  The saw pump base appears to be brass.

robirdman

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2019, 09:56:54 AM »

After totally cleaning, and painting the parts of the saw, I re-assembled and was ready to deal with the motor situation again.  I pried the tabs off the pump. but it seems that on the inside there is a barrier to removing the main motor part, and the other end seems to have welds so that it can't come out that way.  Before dissembling, I had turned the motor on, while in the saw and it had ran despite the bad pump wiring.  I thought I would take the motor and pump to an electrical shop to make sure there was nothing they could do, before ordering a new pump.  I plugged the motor in and turned on the switch, and there was a short and the pump end and a brief flame.

So then I cut the wire connection between the 2, eliminating the worst of the cracked wire and separated the ends of the pump leads,  and plugged the motor in again, to just test it.  Turned the switch on and nothing happened at all.  I don't know if it is shorted out, or what.  The wiring in the motor is so cramped, hard to figure out to deal with, and now I am really stuck.  I almost certainly need a new pump, and not sure about the motor whose frame had 2 indentations for the 2 cords exiting.  I am afraid if I totally disconnect the pump wire attachments, I may not be able to re-attach a new one.  And I wonder how to test the motor.  Disaster, and greatly need advice.

PhilNM

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2019, 10:57:22 AM »

you probably fried it. take it to a shop and see what they say. They're probably gonna tell you it will cost more to fix than buy a new one.

robirdman

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2019, 11:37:27 AM »

I keep googling to find another local shop, and the search turns up places in others states, or ones that only deal in big motors.  I was hoping to avoid the shop where I took the 24" saw motor as they said they replaced all the wiring.  I had them open to look at it and it was the old wiring.  they said 'so what' it runs now.  I would like to be sure the motor is dead because a new one is probably not going to have the openings, and maybe terminals for the extra pump wiring.  Living in Chicago, it would seem to be easy to find more than one facility.

robirdman

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2019, 12:44:40 PM »

PhilNM: I went to Grainger with the pump part shown and the only replacement was a plastic housing pump. I compare later and see it is the same Little Giant at Amazon for cheaper. The original pump base is brass.  It says not to pump fuel oil.  The saw oil is OK?  If I want to use the way the other pump was, I would have to cut off the  plug, get connectors for the saw motor, though if that turns out to be toast then I probably won't be able to find one with slots for 2 cords, and most likely have to get an outlet strip as there is only one wall one nearby, if I have to plug separately.  Trying to revive this, my 24" saw and most other stuff is turning out to proceed very poorly, problems with everything and very discouraging.

Slabbercabber

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2019, 04:14:37 PM »

Getting the motor repaied by a shop will cost more than a new motor.  That's why you only see big motors repaired.  Just switch to a cheap pump.  I use an old sump pump.  Home depot sells tile cutter pumps for around $20.  They work just fine.  In addition, they are submersible.  Same for swamp cooler pumps and many other uses.

PhilNM

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2019, 08:12:06 PM »

PhilNM: I went to Grainger with the pump part shown and the only replacement was a plastic housing pump. I compare later and see it is the same Little Giant at Amazon for cheaper. The original pump base is brass.  It says not to pump fuel oil.  The saw oil is OK?  If I want to use the way the other pump was, I would have to cut off the  plug, get connectors for the saw motor, though if that turns out to be toast then I probably won't be able to find one with slots for 2 cords, and most likely have to get an outlet strip as there is only one wall one nearby, if I have to plug separately.  Trying to revive this, my 24" saw and most other stuff is turning out to proceed very poorly, problems with everything and very discouraging.
Pack it up and send it to me. No guarantees, but I'll if I can swap out the wires. Do NOT remove the old wires so I know what goes where.  Personally, I used a evap cooler pump for mine when the original went bad. $20 at True Value. No guarantees,. motor may be shot. Include return postage in package, and I'll let you know what the new cords, plugs, etc cost. I might be able to use some spares laying around in the garage. Dunno. from your posts, it sounds like you fried it...
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 56 queries.