Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Future Day Trip in Las Vegas  (Read 822 times)

AveIArts

Future Day Trip in Las Vegas
« on: May 19, 2022, 11:17:50 AM »

Hey...I've chit chatted with some of you guys here. I'd like to try to plan a day trip around Vegas, Pahrump etc. on a nice day before it gets too hot. I'd love to meet you guys. I know that some areas are very special and deeply guarded and I can certainly understand that. My husband and I had planned to go to Peacock mines back in 2008, but never got a chance to do so. I get so excited just finding an interesting rock. So lets go have some fun and do this. I'll need at least a week in advance notice so that I can plan to have a sitter with Betty, my MIL.
...the answer my friend, is hidden under a rock!
Anita

Pearl

Re: Future Day Trip in Las Vegas
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2022, 10:34:38 PM »

Hey...I've chit chatted with some of you guys here. I'd like to try to plan a day trip around Vegas, Pahrump etc. on a nice day before it gets too hot. I'd love to meet you guys. I know that some areas are very special and deeply guarded and I can certainly understand that. My husband and I had planned to go to Peacock mines back in 2008, but never got a chance to do so. I get so excited just finding an interesting rock. So lets go have some fun and do this. I'll need at least a week in advance notice so that I can plan to have a sitter with Betty, my MIL.

Anita, I want to fly out that way next year for quartzite and maybe Tucson.  I know great areas for rock hounding in Utah.  Plan something around that time, and I'll put off having my knee replaced until after. 

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2022, 09:34:22 AM »

The area is not a noted rockhound destination and Nevada on the whole is a very picked over state.Perhaps walk around Red Rocks and enjoy the spectacular scenery.

Pearl

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2022, 10:12:09 AM »

The area is not a noted rockhound destination and Nevada on the whole is a very picked over state.Perhaps walk around Red Rocks and enjoy the spectacular scenery.

I agree about the scenery.  I've spent 20 years living in or near southern Utah.  Right now I live in a humid rainy swampy area that the biggest rock here is the size of a grain of sand, which it is.  I know some places in so. Utah that haven't been picked over.  One place that I wish we all still had access to was having a road built over it in the early 70's.  The head engineer (I was 20 at the time) showed my room mate and me into a lava tube tunnel that was under the road.  He wanted to impress us with the huge crystals in the walls.  They were so clear.  At the time I thought yeah they were pretty, but I was walking in knee deep fine mud.  I lost my shoes, and the basalt was cutting into my feet.  It took weeks to get that mud out of my jeans.  It was a grayish sort of almost blue mud. The geological make up of the area is Navajo sandstone, or Mt. Carmel sandstone.  Both of which are not the color of the mud. The access point was covered over.   It's also on National forest land in an area covered over by many many feet of basalt.  I know a lot of the who might get me access, but not the where with all to do the digging.

AveIArts

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2022, 05:15:21 PM »

Anita, I want to fly out that way next year for quartzite and maybe Tucson.  I know great areas for rock hounding in Utah.  Plan something around that time, and I'll put off having my knee replaced until after.

That sounds great, maybe in late fall or early spring? I already feel the Vegas heat! We were planing to move to Wells, Nevada last year, but things turned out so differently. Wanting to be a regular snow bird. Sadly we lost Chuck my father in law April..

Betty, my MIL, I don't know how she's getting by with all this happening. She's a strong woman, I'd be so devastated w/o my hubby. Anyway lets plan this, maybe we can get some other rock hounds to join us?!

...the answer my friend, is hidden under a rock!
Anita
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 35 queries.