Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: wheels for flat alps to grind and polish that wont break the bank  (Read 653 times)

modlite_83

wheels for flat alps to grind and polish that wont break the bank
« on: September 04, 2022, 08:16:25 AM »

I am on disblity and dont have much money after bills and stuff are pay for any body got idea for grinding polish wheels for flat lap. I diy my flat lap out of a old potters wheel so i can use just about any size wheel some ideas or places to look would much help thank for the info in advance

AgateLicker

Re: wheels for flat alps to grind and polish that wont break the bank
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2022, 08:53:41 AM »

Hey, welcome! I am also ballin' on a budget and managed to snag a set (80-6000 grit) off Wish for, like, five bucks a few years ago. They suck if you're used to the good stuff, I'd imagine, but they have paid for themselves over and over as far as I'm concerned. I hand grind under the dripping tap, so I can't say anything for performance in an actual flat lap, homegrown or otherwise. The arbor hole is 5/8". In addition I purchased a cerium paste set and drill press diamond bits for big holes (set has 20 from 1/4" to 1  1/2")

As an aside, if you feel inclined to share your rig design and possibly break the steps down that would be super neat. Been trying to figgur one up for a while and YouTube is full of half-baked ideas. Be interesting to see what is working for you!

modlite_83

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2022, 09:00:22 AM »

thanks for the welcome no picture yet of the rig but all i did was get potters wheel old one  use the base to put a wheel on and use a small pump for kingsley north for my drip system and all the parts i got for it came from there

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2022, 11:46:21 AM »

In Asia I often see people grinding stones on a grinding wheel set on it's side and rotating. If you use your imagination you could glue and center a silicon  carbide grinding wheel to a cut down pottery bat and grind as many Asian's do One of the first lapidary machines made for hobbyists used exactly this design.. Plastiic bats are great for mounting Ameritool grinding discs and if you use the bat pins and a head on the pottery machine you can dispense with drilling holes in the pads which wastes a lot of diamond. Most people like the foam backers you can buy for the pads. One bat per grit.Easy on easy off.Kinsley North is a reliable dealer with a very wide selection.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 35 queries.