Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A group of Kingman Turquoise and a Variscite  (Read 2371 times)

Ajo

• Red Sky Gems
A group of Kingman Turquoise and a Variscite
« on: August 19, 2014, 03:28:10 PM »

Hey All! I have been busy the last few days cutting some stabilized old stock Kingman turquoise. Also, some variscite that I got from Tony (Catmandew) at Quartzsite. I love this stuff. I brought it up to 3000 diamond on an expando wheel. I then finished all of them with ZAM on a very soft cotton wheel. The ZAM took any of the left over fine scratches off really well. The shine came up great on all of the turquoise. The "red" matrix cab gave me a hard time, the matrix came out a semi-gloss finish. All the turquoise came from Colbaugh out of Kingman, AZ. They carry a whole range of rough. As you can see Kingman has a variety of looks. Hope you like. Eric. Sorry about the size of the pics for some reason photobucket is not cooperating. :dontknow:
Pyrite Flecks in This cab:

Golden Matrix:

Red Matrix Cab:

Nice Blue:

Tony's Variscite:

Bentiron

Re: A group of Kingman Turquoise and a Variscite
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 04:25:51 PM »

Those are all nice looking even better than some totally natural stone I worked with in the past. A few weeks ago we were in Colorado and we stopped at a shop in Greed, Co and they had some of the purple with silver compressed treated turquoise and the shop owner was spinning a tale to my wife that it was a natural product of the Last Chance Silver Mine in the nearby mountains, I really had to choke back some really nasty comments about being truthful in sales pitches especially when there was a block of the stuff sitting next to the trim saw in the shop along with several preforms on dop sticks. Talk about fabrication of lies :nono:
Your cabs look great :headbang:

Ajo

• Red Sky Gems
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 05:11:11 PM »

Those are all nice looking even better than some totally natural stone I worked with in the past. A few weeks ago we were in Colorado and we stopped at a shop in Greed, Co and they had some of the purple with silver compressed treated turquoise and the shop owner was spinning a tale to my wife that it was a natural product of the Last Chance Silver Mine in the nearby mountains, I really had to choke back some really nasty comments about being truthful in sales pitches especially when there was a block of the stuff sitting next to the trim saw in the shop along with several preforms on dop sticks. Talk about fabrication of lies :nono:
Thanks, they were a lot of fun to cab. I really would have had to bite my tongue too. I am a firm believer in disclosure. I cant believe that shop owner tried to put one over on you guys. Obviously he did not know who he was dealing with. Eric.

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 06:22:31 PM »

Wow!  Nice tones of blue and green there and some good matrix patterns.  Nice score on the turquoise rough you got!   :thumbsup:
My favorite is the stuff with the pyrite in it!   :icon_sunny:

PhilNM

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 08:31:45 PM »

I bought a couple pounds of that purple gold stuff from the guy who made it for colbaughs before he passed over to the rock fields in the sky. I think I paid about $120 per pound, but it makes great cabs. Need a few slices?

tntmom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 10:35:38 PM »

Gorgeous!!!!  I don't work with turquoise that often, only a couple times a year.  How do you tell if it is stabilized when buying from an unknown vendor?  The only turquoise I have worked has come from Michael.

~Krystee
https://www.facebook.com/kristine.gniot

Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, Today is a Gift.... That's why it's called The Present.

PhilNM

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 09:30:57 AM »

Gorgeous!!!!  I don't work with turquoise that often, only a couple times a year.  How do you tell if it is stabilized when buying from an unknown vendor?  The only turquoise I have worked has come from Michael.

Natural is hydroscopic. It craves moisture, so it sticks to your tongue. Stabilized doesn't. Also natural smells like rock when ground and polished, stabilized smells like plastic or maybe has a sweet smell depending on the process used to stabilize it.

iceopals

• Ice
    • Iceopals Jewelry
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 05:11:32 PM »

Well, I would question the hydroscopic statement if that is blanket.   Yep, I agree for chalk and lower quality material, but I have cut so much high grade that was not at all interested in any surrounding water. 

accented1

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 06:58:48 PM »

Wow those are spectacular! I'm sure the smiths would kill for those.. Quite amazing material!

MrsWTownsend

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 10:22:05 AM »

Wowsers those are gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 45 queries.