Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Turquoise, yes or no?  (Read 1230 times)

Kerrismama

Turquoise, yes or no?
« on: April 07, 2018, 11:40:07 PM »

Hi! Looking for second opinions on these beads. I'm pretty sure they're real. The hardness is correct, and I tested a couple with acetone so I'm pretty certain they're not dyed. I just got such an amazing deal on them that I'm a bit skeptical. Lol.  I would really appreciate opinions, or any other tips on how to identify them. All I know is the person I bought them from said they bought them at the Tucson gem and mineral show a couple of decades ago. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

rocks2dust

Re: Turquoise, yes or no?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 09:26:14 AM »

I suspect dyed magnesite, based on the pattern and colors. Some dyed stone is sealed, and so simply swabbing with acetone may not show dye. You might sacrifice a bead by breaking and seeing whether the dye penetrates evenly throughout, and also swabbing the broken surface. You can also try burning one of the broken bits, then smelling to see whether you detect a burnt plastic smell (which would indicate either manufactured stone or a sealer).

Kerrismama

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 11:11:02 AM »

I suspect dyed magnesite, based on the pattern and colors. Some dyed stone is sealed, and so simply swabbing with acetone may not show dye. You might sacrifice a bead by breaking and seeing whether the dye penetrates evenly throughout, and also swabbing the broken surface. You can also try burning one of the broken bits, then smelling to see whether you detect a burnt plastic smell (which would indicate either manufactured stone or a sealer).
Ok, I will try that next. Thank you!

Kerrismama

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 02:57:31 PM »

You were right. I broke one in half, and it was white in the middle. Fortunately it didn't cost me much. Thanks for the tip!

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 04:07:49 PM »

You were right. I broke one in half, and it was white in the middle. Fortunately it didn't cost me much. Thanks for the tip!

It could have also been low quality chalk turquoise which tends to be whitish when mined and they dye and stabilize it.  Either way it's not real turquoise in the purest sense of the term.
It's a good thing you didn't pay much for them, because if you had, it would have been a bit of a rip-off.  At least in this case you can still use them, just call them "Dyed stabilized Magnesite or Howlite."

Silverotter

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 04:47:08 AM »

I buy and use a ton of Turquoise beads just like those and have people trying to screw me all of the time by trying to sell me all kinds of materials at true Turquoise prices. I will not buy unless I can get a guarantee that they are real no matter what the price is. I demand to see the sellers drivers license so if I can't test on the spot I can send junk back. You would be surprised at how fast these people will become honest. I guess the little mean little Native American in the wheelchair that knows her stuff tends to scare the tar out of them. 😂
Little trick I learned from my daughter the beautician...pick up one of the 4way nail files that nail techs use, rough to buff, you can hit the Turquoise with the stone with the rough just enough to see if it is dyed and repair it with no damage on the spot. I always check the drill hole first.  If your seller is not comfortable with you doing that then go for the ID so you can let him know that you WILL ship the crap back after you let the world know that he/she is selling crap an knowing it! You must do this with a huge smile on your face BTW. The smile messes with them.  😂
All the best hunting those treasures!

PhilNM

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 07:26:45 PM »

not turquoise, sorry.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 40 queries.