Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello from Kawartha Lakes Ontario  (Read 2674 times)

CanadianRockHoundGal

Hello from Kawartha Lakes Ontario
« on: December 13, 2017, 12:33:57 PM »

Hello everyone, I'm new to rockhounding and I love it!  Spent most of the summer recovering from a brain aneurysm and getting out in nature was the best medicine.  I discovered my passion for rock hounding.  I've learned so much and the more I know, the more I realize I have so much more to learn.  I will try to post pics of my favourite specimens I found in the beautiful Canadian Shield of Ontario!

Cheers All,
Lisa

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
Re: Hello from Kawartha Lakes Ontario
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 02:09:00 PM »

Welcome Lisa,  Its therapy for us all.  Finding beauty, enhancing it,  and sharing it, makes us all feel better.  Show us your stuff - you have a huge geological domain before you. 
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

CanadianRockHoundGal

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 02:35:06 PM »

Thank you!  You are so right 😁. I tried to post a pic but it said my file was too big?  I'm on my iPad and the pics were taken with my iPad so they're not that special.  Any thoughts?  Retired Zoologist?  Wow! 👍

Cheers,
Lisa

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 03:34:54 PM »

Welcome to the forum.Any pictures at all will give us an idea of what your local geology is about.Have fun .

CanadianRockHoundGal

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 03:43:14 PM »

Ok I'm trying to post a pic of one of my fave specimens I found.  Do you know what it is?
Lisa

CanadianRockHoundGal

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 03:52:53 PM »

Here is another...

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 03:55:22 PM »

are you finding these?

Jhon P

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 03:58:41 PM »

Looks like a kyanite crystal to me? Hard to tell from just a picture, do an internet search and find some pictures to compare it too. Maybe some one with more knowledge than I can give their guess

CanadianRockHoundGal

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 04:08:31 PM »

Some more...

And yes, I hunt and collect and study and everything myself.  Everyone thinks I'm a nerd but I'm fascinated!

CanadianRockHoundGal

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2017, 04:21:38 PM »

This one is pretty...

CanadianRockHoundGal

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2017, 04:28:16 PM »

Ok one more for now...

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2017, 05:40:14 AM »

Your post made me jump to a geology overview to refresh what I thought I knew about the Canadian Shield, and . . .  yes its almost entirely Precambrian Rock and hence metamorphics some 2.5 billion years old.  I say big task because the Canadian Shield occupies nearly half of Canada, and is well exposed in many places due to the Pleistocene glaciation.  You will need to learn your crystals and yes the many forms of granite etc.  A couple of good guides to gems and minerals will be useful.   I hope someone can point you in the right direction with some of your id's. 
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

CanadianRockHoundGal

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2017, 06:14:16 AM »

Thank you Peruano, yes I'm very excited about the possibilities.  I have been reading about Precambrian rock and it's really mind boggling stuff!  There are a couple of great rockhounders from Ontario on YouTube, (Caver, who has written some rockhounding books actually and quite brilliant, and "Tess" which is a really nice hacker kind of guy, but learning like me and shares his knowledge), but other than that I'm on my own!  I'd love to hook up its another rockhounding buddy, which brought me to this site. Maybe in the spring I will join a local club.  I don't see many members from Canada here.  I love to see what's happening everywhere though so this is great! 👍

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2017, 03:59:05 PM »

Metamorphics are tough and confusing, but they can be sorted out.  Probably you should find the nearest geological/mineral museum or mineralogist who will confirm or deny some basic specimens once you have worked with them to try a preliminary id. 
Actually, I started seriously into rockhounding focused primarily on Precambrian rocks here in New Mexico where the Rio Grande valley is created by a major uplift of a fault on one side and induction of all more recent stuff from the west.  The result is a narrow band on totally Precambrian geological formations.  Lots of gneiss, granites, feldspars, serpentines, phylites, and ???? Collect the array of things and then make at trip to the closest authority, but do a considerable amount of homework, and reading before you go. 

CanadianRockHoundGal

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2017, 04:58:41 PM »

gracias mi amigo, sounds like you have been at this a while and you're in a great spot!  I have done a lot of research already and still so much more to go.  I did visit a shop in Toronto, a gem and rock shop.  I brought my samples in and the sales lady there knew less than I did.  Expertise seems hard to come by.  Once a year they offer this service at the museum here though so I'd like to go to that.  Also there is a "Rock Gemboree " in Bancroft once a year so I will go to that in the summer too.  I just keep trying, I get to talk to some great people sometimes, like you so it's fun 😀

Salud, Cheers!
Lisa
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 52 queries.