Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: California fires  (Read 2319 times)

Jhon P

California fires
« on: December 14, 2017, 09:21:07 AM »

Thinking about the California wildfires. I don’t recall seeing any posts from Ranger Dave since the maraposa fires. Has anyone heard from him? Hey Dave if you are out there let us know how it’s going.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Re: California fires
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 03:29:36 PM »

What a terrible year  for fires all over the west. The level of damage to business property is unprecedented  and makes one wonder about the survivability of some communities.

edgarscale

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 11:09:23 PM »

i was looking at a night picture of beautiful beachfront with a few rows of houses behind and palm trees dispersed between and in front of them....with a slight rise in the background with more trees and a lovely glow behind it.  i thought it was the sun setting.  i thought what a tropical picture, sheer beauty.....until i was told it's a scene of the fires burning in the background in california.  that beautiful vision became a horrifying reality.  i'm speechless.

50% rockhound and 50% wire wrap
       ='s one great pendant

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 06:41:55 PM »

the whole montain where Knotts berry farm is located is destroyed by fire.
I just dont understand why emergency sprinkler systems arent installed like a utility (ie:cable & power) through whole neighborhoods to protect the people and their possessions.

edgarscale

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 06:26:45 AM »

i agree about the sprinkler type system.  but to go a step further why not into the forests?  sounds like a big job BUT if the government blazes trails for hydro lines or oil pipes and snowmobiles why not add a watering system?  the trail is already cut.  placed in strategic areas to stop full blown fires.  using salt water from the ocean. 

='s one great pendant

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 03:46:37 PM »

I have a friend who lives near Santa Barbara.  I'm keeping tabs on her.  She knows if she has to evacuate to hop on the I-10 and come to my place.  Last I checked the entire eastern side of Santa Barbara was in danger with a wall of fire moving at them.

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 06:16:25 PM »

seriously, one generator, one 6 inch pump and a few farm sprinklers and a ditch full of continuous water can save a whole city more effectively than all the fire crews combined by saturating the whole area ahead of the flames.

But they want california cleared out i think.

Rockoteer

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2017, 02:22:42 PM »

seriously, one generator, one 6 inch pump and a few farm sprinklers and a ditch full of continuous water can save a whole city more effectively than all the fire crews combined by saturating the whole area ahead of the flames.

But they want california cleared out i think.

You can't be serious .......

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2017, 02:33:34 PM »

Even without the Santa Ana winds the st5evenson fire jumped the entire Columbia river.Whole burning trees get lifted and carried forward by the fire.Fire storms would be a much better name.

gemfeller

• Art Cut Gems
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2017, 04:41:53 PM »

Even without the Santa Ana winds the st5evenson fire jumped the entire Columbia river.Whole burning trees get lifted and carried forward by the fire.Fire storms would be a much better name.
Exactly.  I'm located on one edge of the Thomas fire which, thankfully for me, is heading in a different direction.  Having been through several major CA fires I can verify it's the burning embers carried by the winds that spread these fires so quickly.  Last winter's heavy rains caused tremendous growth in grasses and chapparal and an extended drought since has left them tinder dry.  It's just the nature of the local geography.  Lightning-set fires burned at will before the area became heavily populated.  Now, with suburbs and entire cities spreading into the brushy areas damage in terms of lives and property has soared.  We're hoping against hope for rain. 

edgarscale

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2017, 09:50:26 PM »

hoping and praying for rain

='s one great pendant

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2017, 12:34:31 PM »

I think the land is deliberately being set on fire to clear the land for governmental land grab.
Thats just my perspective, wildfires in winter time just dont add up to me, windy or not.
The Cali GOV could set up huge sprinklers to cover most all of a neighborhood in minutes flooding the area like a farmers field. but they dont.
It doesnt add up in my brain cell.

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2017, 07:11:37 PM »

Let's not turn this into a political commentary please.

rockherder

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2018, 08:28:00 PM »

I lost everything in the Santa Rosa Coffey Park.
Equipment, 20 barrels of rock.
A soft estimate was around $40K.
I had a Highland Park 20" slab saw, and a Titan along with several other pieces.
Here are a couple pictures one of the slab saw (this was a good view) and another of a star diamond grinding unit.
-Doug in El Dorado Hills, CA

ducalion

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2018, 11:30:33 PM »

My heart goes out to ya rockherder, in 2014 I lost everything I had and barely almost perished myself, I didn't get my dog though heard him screaming tried like hell to get him but it's impossible the smoke is so black you can't see your nose in front of your face. For all those who think a sprinkler system will work for communities, to I don't mean to sound like an jerk, but you don't understand what a fire is when it gets going, green burns just fine and water only does so much. Rockherder I know what shock your in its a life changer never will it be the same I only had the clothes on my back (not shoes) so I learned a lesson from it that everyone should before something this horrible happens. I learned everything in this life is fleeting and has no mass all the things we go after in this life is like trying to grasp air, just when you've got anything, it slips right through your fingers, you have only one possession and that I is your being so Instead of worries of vanities like clothes etc i concern myself with knowledge and making myself a better human being, no fire or man on Earth can take your being. I hope you gain from this loss so as not to say total loss. I hope your I haven't rambled on too long. (Sorrowful face)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 52 queries.