Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: where to buy clear rock crystal that isn't fake?  (Read 2566 times)

Craigab

where to buy clear rock crystal that isn't fake?
« on: June 08, 2018, 04:58:21 PM »

I need to buy some clear rock crystal but don't know how to buy it.  I need some thin pieces or rock crystal without inclusions/cracking/clouding.  I have no idea how to know whether the pieces are real versus the fake stuff that is basically glass.  Does anyone have a source?  I don't need a tone of it but do need some.  The pieces are going to be very thin so I don't need the whole quartz point to be clear, just have enough clear to cut out a section.  Also how do people recommend cutting small flat sheets ~1/8" thick... what saw blade/how to finish so clear as glass when done

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
Re: where to buy clear rock crystal that isn't fake?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 01:28:41 AM »

I have purchased man made optical Quartz in the past.  It comes in a flat boule that is about 4"x9"x2".  The company normally doesn't sell to the public as these as for specialized applications however when the have the slightest flaw then they sell them to us rockhounds.  I'll have to get you the info for them.  They still aren't cheap but they are quality.

Craigab

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 05:21:39 AM »

Hello, thank you for the suggestion.  I am aware of the man made quartz used for scientific community but I would prefer natural over man made for project I am working on.  I do not need a huge perfect crystal but rather the ability to slice ~1/8" (or 1/16") thick polished slices that are *mostly* perfect.  The surface area of the slices would be 1 inch to 1 inch.  So I really don't need a huge are of high quality, I just don't know what is fake/manmade versus what is real as it seems much of what is online is fake.

Lydia

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 08:23:59 AM »

We have some where I work that is natural rough if you have the ability to get it down to the size you need. Call on Monday Thomas M Schneider 619-232-2624. Hope I didn't violate a site rule by giving out the number in a post!

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

catmandewe

• Global Moderator
    • Idaho Rock Shop
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2018, 02:12:35 PM »

If you havent found any by now let me know, pretty sure I have some put away somewhere.

Tony
www.IdahoRockShop.com

Authorized Diamond Pacific Dealer

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2018, 08:09:54 PM »

Jerrys Rock & Gem in Kent Washington sells it also.
https://www.jerrysrockandgem.com/
Ask for Joan or Glen
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 33 queries.