Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dopping  (Read 2665 times)

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Dopping
« on: June 19, 2015, 10:10:44 PM »

We are having a doppathon this weekend. Gergis and I are dopping cabs with super glue , epoxy and wax. We will show the steps for each style of dopping and talk about procedures and considerations.I will post about super glue dopping in the morning. I will follow in a week or so with undopping for each style.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
Re: Dopping
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 10:24:08 PM »

Great idea!  Thanks for doing this.   :headbang:
Robin

Itsandbits

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 07:38:16 AM »

good idea to do the procedural comparisons Frank and Gergis; two thumbs up, can you do one on the "hold it in your fingers" method too?? bloody fingers and ground off finger nails included of course; my favorite!!!!
rocks and people have a lot in common; one persons "leaverite" is anothers treasure

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 08:54:05 AM »

We are alrady good at finger reduction. I used to dop a lot for cabs but since I don't sell now I can make the pendants which I prefer and which tend to be big enough to make hand holding them safe.

Bentiron

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 05:26:41 PM »

"finger reduction", that sounds like a whole lot of fun but I already learned that one from my neighbor back in 1969 and just didn't care all that much for it so just concentrated on the silver work of our little business while he ground his fingers to the bone making cabs for sale.

Gergis

• Global Moderator
  • "I MILK MY ROCKS"
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 03:41:00 PM »

Heres some pics of the initial process after cleaning up the preforms with some soap and water and finishing all the backs to 220grit :-)

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 33 queries.