Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Saw died  (Read 2387 times)

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Saw died
« on: April 22, 2016, 09:10:01 PM »

May it rest in peace, as it didn't rest much when it was alive.  Got our new one today and this one has finally a blade lock!  which will make changing blades soooo much easier.

Gergis

• Global Moderator
  • "I MILK MY ROCKS"
Re: Saw died
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 09:28:31 PM »

Is the new one louder as well? Haha

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

GoodEarth

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 10:43:50 AM »

Nice! new tools are always fun. Is that a MK?
PNW Rough Rock including
Olympic Poppy Jasper

wampidy

• A ring on the hand is worth two on the bush
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 07:44:38 AM »

Holy moly Frank it looks like you could pull buckets from a deep well with that motor. I don't use mine because at 3400 rpm it scares the crap out of me. I should have given it to you when you were here but mine is smaller than that one and it is obvious you do not use toys.

I am quite sure that machine along with your skills will turn out some super beads.
Jim
I threw a stone into the air.
It came to earth "ouch"
I now know where.
You can quote me on this, I have the scar.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 08:34:01 AM »

The blade does hum. It has been 20 years now that I have used this model . Funny though as no one else wants to use it. It was a standard with quite a few professional cutters when I got my first one but most of those folks are likely retired.

wampidy

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 08:53:57 AM »

I did use mine a lot and would probably still use it if I could come up with a way to get the water to stay where it is needed. Maybe a different type of blade would help but at the speed the blade is turning it blows the water away from the blade. I rigged up a sprayer to put the water right in the center of the blade but I did not spend enough time engineering it so there were some problems with that also. It works better than my trim saw for cutting small stones but my lucky day was when I bought my 12 inch oil saw for fifty bucks. Not as handy as just turning a machine on and start cutting but I can get the oil saw set up and going then do something else. It is a trade off no matter which way you go but you have skills that most people do not have so you can probably cut way faster than them (me).
Jim
It came to earth "ouch"
I now know where.

Slabbercabber

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2016, 02:48:57 PM »

Hey Frank,  I have a couple of those saws rescued from the scrap heap and rebuilt.  Tile cutters never ever do maintenance and the pivots freeze solid.  Trays and switches also take tremendous abuse.  Anyway, I don't use them much due to the mess and I don't have a vise.  What are you using for a vise?

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2016, 05:01:08 PM »

I was a rock climber for most of my adult life and have a grip to prove it. Just the grip. Stupid? Yup but exciting and expensive in blades if you have a moment of inattention.Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

wampidy

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2016, 07:06:05 AM »

I got my hand strength from milking cows when I was a kid. Not nearly as fun as rock climbing but I never fell off.
Jim
It came to earth "ouch"
I now know where.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 40 queries.