Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stamps and stamping  (Read 2347 times)

T P

Stamps and stamping
« on: June 04, 2016, 05:04:47 PM »

On to my next adventure in silversmithing.

I am wanting to make a set of embossed/stamped hollow sterling silver beads.  I found an online e bok about the beads by a Nancy Howland, but do not have any info on the stamping. 

I have the book Indian jewelry which has some information on how to make stamps.

The problem I am having is getting a good deep impression on the flat disc prior to doming.  I am using dead soft sterling, and stamping on 1" steel bench block.  Does anyone have any hint or tips on getting a good deep impression when I stamp?

Jhon P

Re: Stamps and stamping
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 07:40:15 AM »

There is a video on you tube that may help. I will ask my friend to show me how it is done next time we can get together for a lesson. I will see if he can do the lesson on stamped beads

travelerga

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 08:44:05 AM »

Larger hammer, one strike only, breathe slowly, like for trigger pull. hold the stamp in a firm grip, not squeezing it to tight, practice on scrape. I also use a thicker steel, 3 inch , on the section of my bench where the leg is, better support less rebound. last but not least. keep your eyes on the strike surface of the stamp , not on the silver.

T P

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 10:41:32 AM »

Thanks Traveler for the information. Any additional tip or suggestions will be appreciated.  Would a 1" steel bench block be heavy enough if supported on a stump?

gemfeller

• Art Cut Gems
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 11:51:11 AM »

I routinely use a 1-inch steel block on my bench top.  The block should be polished to avoid impressions on the stock from unevenness -- rust pits and the like.  Be sure you're using a flat stamp, not a curved one for use inside ring shanks.  Curved ones won't leave a full impression on flat stock.  And do practice on scrap to develop the right "feel."

travelerga

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 11:07:17 AM »

I started with a 1 inch by 3 inch by 6 inch  and it worked great for normal stamping. but I found that a thick one worked better for hard stamping, yes mounted on a flat level block of wood works good. I found that putting a sheet of printer paper on the steel with  keep the silvers from picking up marks but you should still polish the steel block I use a stainless steel scrub pad that you use to clean pots. yes, practice is very important and you must relax when stamping. sort of like zen  , breathing is important to keep focus.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 37 queries.