Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question on using Sintered wheel on Genie  (Read 1213 times)

Spirit Bear Beads

Question on using Sintered wheel on Genie
« on: December 18, 2016, 11:40:39 AM »

I have been thinking about purchasing a 60 or coarser Sintered diamond  wheel for my Genie..   But on several posts I have read and in shopping... they seem to be EXTREMELY heavy!  Reportedly 11 to 15 pounds???  This seems very heavy compared to the regular Nova and Galaxy wheels.   Is it ok to run these heavy wheels on a Genie?  Is there a brand that is lighter weight?  I thought I saw  one brand that was aluminum?  Does anyone have any experience with these?

Thanks

55fossil

Re: Question on using Sintered wheel on Genie
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 01:27:23 PM »

I built a separate arbor just to run a pair of coarse sintered diamond wheels on. I do have a friend who runs one on his Diamond Genie and says he has had no problems. Depending on the brand you may find you need special spacers to separate the wheels the proper distance. I found that there was a lot of vibration due to poor balance on the heavier wheels. That little Genie Motor will not last if you put an out of weight wheel on the end of a shaft. A cheap 1/3 HP motor from HArbor Freight, old Lortone Arbor and a drive belt was my preferred method.

Spirit Bear Beads

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 01:38:48 PM »

Thank you for the reply..  Kiind of what i was thinking too.. :thumbsup:

gemfeller

• Art Cut Gems
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 03:26:01 PM »

I run two Neosint sintered wheels on my Genie and love them.  It takes a little experimenting to get them balanced properly -- trial and error -- loosening, adjusting and re-tightening them until vibrations go away.  It's the same procedure used when installing and balancing any other hard wheels.  Yes, they're heavy but that hasn't bothered my machine, which dates back to the late 80s.  I consider them one of the best investments I've made. I had the same concerns as you before buying them but posters here reassured me with their own experience.  I think you'll be happy if you go ahead with your plan.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 29 queries.