Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: West Texas Bouquet Agate hunts  (Read 1333 times)

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
West Texas Bouquet Agate hunts
« on: February 04, 2017, 11:31:30 AM »

Well my back recovered enough to get out to Marfa in November for a 4 day hunt and then in January I went for a 4 day hunt and came back for a week and back to Texas for another 5 day hunt.  Wow were these a couple of amazing trips.  We decided to do more scouting on the ranch since it is so big (over 6000 acres).  We found not one brand new Bouquet spot that hadn't been hunted before but 4!  On this last hunt we were walking a new area and there were a series of small washes about 50 feet apart from each other and each of the 3 washes had huge Bouquet Agates weathering right out of the Andesite in plain view.  The center wash had 3 biscuits under 2 ft apart that were 3 to 5 inch size.  The pictures attached (dugout gold) was from just below the weathering biscuits in the wash and all I saw on this one was a small nub out of the ground and pried up this beauty, the chip from the bottom was natural from flaking when it pulled from the host material.  I still haven't even started washing or sorting the material from the trip but WOW WHAT A SET OF TRIPS!  My friend Brad from Texas found a brand new hill that was 2 hills from an amazing new spot we found on a previous trip and he had the hill to himself for about an hour, can't wait to see what he picked up.  I shot some video on the trips and will try to get it processed and posted. 

The other 2 pics that are attached were found on top of the hill that is above where I found the amazing green plume nodule I had in a previous post on the ranch.  This hill was virgin and this particular Bouquet was 2 pieces that were about 10" apart and knowing that they were natural or cow kicked I hunted down the hill and found the 3rd piece that fits perfect to one of the other.  Top is usual grey bubbly but the side are almost lavender with the Red shaded plumes.

Stonemon

Re: West Texas Bouquet Agate hunts
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 12:21:28 PM »

Slab em' That mossy one looks great!   :drool:
I am wishing I could see the ground but the snow will not leave.....
Bill

Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 26 queries.