Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with pricing on automatic cab preformer  (Read 4848 times)

Debbie K

Help with pricing on automatic cab preformer
« on: May 06, 2017, 05:52:44 PM »

Guys, I need your help in a ballpark figure for an automatic cab preformer. My club has received 2 as donations, and I remember seeing one here or on the previous website with an idea of how much it cost, but I've looked for over an hour and can't find the post.

This is the type with a motor that turns the the Jacobs chuck that holds the dop which is attached to a mechanism that follows the aluminum preform shape, and another motor which drives the grinding wheel. The angle of the chuck is adjustable, as is the distance to the wheel. It's a dedicated machine, not unlike the Graves cab-mate with the attachment, but better.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Debbie K

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
Re: Help with pricing on automatic cab preformer
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 06:34:07 AM »

dang, if i could just chuck a rock and walk away to do something else i would be happy.
imagine grinding out 60 identical shaped cabs while mowing the lawn lol!

Post a photo of it. I did a search for automatic cabochon machine and came up with a few.
Actually, same type of machine for a automotive valve grinding/lapping machine

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 07:02:25 AM »

The one I have was over $1700 twenty five years ago. Probably a similar quality machine new now would be around $3,000.

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 09:38:23 AM »

Here's a link from the old forum archive - found toward the bottom of the current forum home page. It's for a unit sold by the Colbaughs. No help on pricing in the thread, but if it's the same machine it might help you find what they sold for.

http://gemstone.smfforfree4.com/index.php/topic,29.0.html

Debbie K

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 12:47:59 PM »

Thank you so much! Now at least I have a starting point to research the items. One is incomplete; the motor for the cab part is missing. I'm thinking it would make sense to offer both of them for sale; the other would have spare parts for the complete one.

I'll take a picture Wednesday of the units and post them; the shop isn't open until then.

Debbie K

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 04:19:04 PM »

That is definitely not the machine I have but I have used that machine. The very weak point was the expense of the special shaped wheels and their availability.

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 07:02:30 PM »

That thread also mentioned two different models of some German(?) machine. I think Catmandewe said he had both versions of that one. I've never even seen a machine like this for lapidary work.

Mark

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 07:28:37 PM »

There was a company in Ayer MA that used to make those machines too.  I drove by it all the time on the way to work and recognized the name from old magazine articles and ads.  They now make bee hive equipment if i remember correctly.  Can't remember their name, but the owners or people that work there would probably still know about prices, parts, history, etc.  If i remember the name i'll post it.

Mark

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017, 07:33:00 PM »

I was right, bee hive stuff.  Maxant is the name and here is their web site and at the bottom of their home page is their contact info.. Might be worth a try.

http://www.maxantindustries.com/tools.html

Steve Ramsdell

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2017, 07:58:03 PM »

Try Graves Cab Mate
http://www.gravescompany.com/CabMate.html
this has pictures and prices and supplies.  Hope this helps.

How to find things +type something into google search like automatic cab preformer.  Instead of looking for web info look at the top of the listings and choose images.  Find the image of what you want and click on it.  Click next on the visit web page.  This works well for me.
Steve

Debbie K

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2017, 06:19:36 AM »

Thanks to all of you for the help. Wednesday I'm going to check the motors on the complete unit and inventory the accessories that it came with. I know that there are some extra grinding wheels and a box of stuff.

I love gadgets but can't justify buying the thing; besides that, I think my research will price me out of the market!

It isn't a Graves, unfortunately, as they would be fairly easy to determine value. There have been several for sale on Ebay in varying conditions. Believe it or not, my query using "cabbing" rather than "cabochon" was the problem. I just tried your suggestion re: searching and if there has been an image or video posted, it looks as if it would work pretty well.

Again, I'll take pictures tomorrow and post them. Thanks again!

Debbie K

Redwilder

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2017, 06:25:40 PM »

Ive been interested in an auto-cabber myself for awhile since Im guessing that it would be good to throw out "bread n butter" cabochons fairly quickly. Just looked at the Graves All Diamond package model on their website. Has anyone ever used the Graves one? If so, what are pros and cons of using it?

Debbie K

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2017, 08:29:51 PM »

I have a Graves CabMate, and maybe I'm just a ditz, but I couldn't use it the way I thought I could. It trims the profile pretty accurately, but I couldn't angle the cab to make the dome. Of course, I have no manual so maybe I was doing everything wrong.  It is not "automatic", you are turning the axle that spins the cab. I never could use the Tag-it dodad either, so maybe it really is just me.

The thing that I am researching looks more like the Colbaugh unit and has the concave wheel that will make a domed cab. They truly are "automatic"; once you turn them on, they do the work.

Debbie K

Redwilder

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2017, 10:37:18 PM »

Just looked up the Colbaugh....OOPH!!! Now that is a wee bit out of the price range for me!
But it is pretty cool though

Debbie K

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2017, 02:20:36 PM »

Okay, you guys, here are some pictures. Sorry about my finger in the 2nd one. The first unit is nearly complete, was only missing the weight which I scanvenged from the second one. The first is marked "Ideal Lapidary Machinery Mohave California Semi-Matic Cabochon Machine"; the second one is missing the label. The second one is also missing both motors, part of the wheel guard, and the fan belt guard. In addition to the two on the units, there were an additional 5 wheels. The only templates are the ones on the units.

I couldn't find any information on "Ideal" in Mohave, but there is one in Kingman, AZ. I'm wondering if this is an early or late Colbaugh unit, since he was so involved in Kingman turquoise.

And, I chumped off and bought them. I just thought it would be cool to get one of them working and let 'er rip. The bearings seem shot in one of them, but the other spins freely. The motors work, and I just need to paint and oil everything and get a new fan belt. My husband is going to kill me.

Debbie K
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 52 queries.