Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to wheatguy and his Pietersite Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Polishing wheel on a Highland Park B-12  (Read 318 times)

Grayco

Polishing wheel on a Highland Park B-12
« on: May 18, 2017, 11:00:42 AM »

Greetings Everyone,
I am restoring an old HP B-12 grinder.  The buffing wheel and shroud (right hand side) are missing.

I'm trying to decide if I will put one or two Expando wheels on that end of the shaft or should I put a leather polishing wheel back on there.

Here's one concern.  My shaft is going to be spinning 1740 RPM.  That's pretty fast for a polishing wheel.

I have a 12" leather bull wheel I can put on there but I'm not convinced that's the best use of the space.

I would appreciate any thoughts you may have on this.

Currently I have the following wheels.

180 gt....   Red/brown Cratex rubber 120gt  (Acts like a 360 gt) .....  600 gt .....   1200 gt.

I have a separate 12" leather bull wheel that I can use for polishing.

If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

-Red Green-

edgarscale

Re: Polishing wheel on a Highland Park B-12
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 04:35:57 PM »

i think the wheel you put on there would depend on what materials you regularly grind the most and therefore grits you need.  i have 180, 600. 1200, and 1800 (i think) grit wheels.   and i have a separate machine for my polishing wheels with the leather wheel on the side.  you have a standard set up and i would just add the leather wheel on the end. 
50% rockhound and 50% wire wrap
       ='s one great pendant

jakesrocks

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 09:06:17 AM »

In my storage shed I just happen to have a NOS right hand shroud for the B-12 machine that I'd be willing to part with. Make me an offer. I snagged this one off of ebay over a year ago because new parts for the old HP machines are getting hard to find.

Don
A day spent without learning something new is a day wasted.

kent

• Fine Woodwork and Lapidary
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 07:06:09 AM »

This is my alteration. Due to limited space in my shop I ended up placing the HP unit pretty close to the wall and found it awkward to use the leather end disc. Plus I really like the expando. First photo shows the addition of a piece of my shops 1/2" rubber floor tile in the trough below the 3000/1200 wheels. For when those slippery pieces leave my fingers. Less of a chance of breaking them ....

IMG_4550.jpg
*IMG_4550.jpg (80.79 kB . 600x450 - viewed 59 times)
IMG_4551.jpg
*IMG_4551.jpg (78.38 kB . 450x600 - viewed 61 times)
IMG_4552.jpg
*IMG_4552.jpg (72.58 kB . 450x600 - viewed 63 times)

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 27 queries.