Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Hey everyone!  (Read 3284 times)

TwoDog

Hey everyone!
« on: June 06, 2017, 09:20:39 PM »

Hi all, I am yet another noobie just starting out.  I do a lot of various treasure hunting and now have contracted the Rockhounding bug.
  This of course, led to the lapidary bug.
  I have done a little smelting and casting (very little)
  Mostly interested in creating cabs or interesting slabs from rocks I find on my adventures.  Eventually would love to set some gems in silver jewelry of my own design.

So far, I have determined that I need to start with a good slab/trim saw...

And that's about all I know.

Here's the kink:  I am a full time RVer living in a 5th wheel.  TwoDog Adventures (that's me) travels around the country trying to survive by digging up bits of junk.
  Because of this, I have all kinds of special needs when considering weight, power consumption, size, noise...blah blah blah...

Digging up other people's beautiful things is great...but I want to make my own beautiful things too now. :-)

I barely know what is possible yet...so please bear with a lot of stupid questions. :-)

Thanks for reading
    Dave

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Re: Hey everyone!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 05:21:35 AM »

Welcome from the Pacific Northwest.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 07:02:54 AM »

Welcome to the forum, Dave, from Northern Arizona!  We all had to start somewhere, so ask all the questions you need to.   :icon_sunny:
Robin

Kaljaia

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 07:42:20 AM »

Welcome from Oregon!
- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon.

olgguy

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 08:40:20 AM »

Welcome from Northern Illinois. We also cast and cab.

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 01:57:47 PM »

Welcome from Sunny HOT Central AZ!  :icon_sunny:

jerrysg

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 02:18:33 PM »

Welcome Dave, from another fulltimer although we have a Class A. We are currently on our property in Benson, AZ outside of Tucson. Where are you currently located?

Because of size and weight restrictions, we opted for the Ameritool pair. An 8" flat lap (http://www.ameritool-inc.com/store/index.cfm/product/5_8/universal-heavy-duty-grinder-and-polishing-machine-complete-with-accessories-kit.cfm and a 4"/5" trim saw. (https://www.ameritool-inc.com/store/index.cfm/product/1_7/lapidary-trim-saw-4-inch.cfm).  They are compact machines and store neatly one of the basement compartments along with all the various grit plates for the flat lap and blades for the saw along with a fold up table to set everything up outside. The flat lap weighs about 18# with all the accessories. Don't know exactly what the saw weighs but it's a lot less than the flat lap. We only use water as a lubricant in the saw and that makes cleanup really easy.

When we travel these go with us.  Since our lot in Benson has storage capability, we have added other equipment that does not travel. A 10" slab saw and we recently added a Lortone combination machine with a 6" saw and 6" expando wheel that takes silicon carbide belts. Picked this up at an estate sale and we are currently refurbishing it.  If you recover other peoples treasures, you should be able to find used machines along the way.  It's a much more economical way to go and you learn a lot more about the machines than if you just buy new. We are fortunate in being in the Tucson area because of the interest in lapidary here. 

Wife says that when we get the Lortone up and running, we may take it along instead of the Ameritool trim saw.  Bigger trim saw and that will give us two machines so both of us can be working stones at the same time.

All in all a rather lengthy welcome but maybe some of the info is useful for you.

Happy travels and treasure hunting!

Jerry

raven.worldlrnr

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 02:51:43 PM »

Welcome from Northern California, I just settled from full timing in a 5th wheel. I used the under storage right outside the front door for my workshop with several folding table that could be at different heights plus water. In learning about distributing weight for a 5th wheel I found that if you have a back storage compartment thats the best place to put things beside right over the wheels which is usually the kitchen area. So I would disperse my kitchen stuff and put my tools there lol. Just dont carry alot of can goods or heavy liquids. I also would use the trucker scales to make sure my weight was good on my pull vehicle then the trailer until I had it under control. Plastic bins help keep you organized and switching easier things around easier also. Sorry for the short story. Welcome

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 05:47:45 PM »

Welcome from the greater Seattle area

TwoDog

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 07:14:03 AM »

Thanks for the great input you guys!  Much appreciated.
  Thinking my first acquisition is going to be a trim/slab saw, cabbing station, and flat lap...
  Trying to find used stuff...

raven.worldlrnr

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2017, 03:26:47 PM »

Did you see the post "Kust given a lap" check it out looks like a good unit for an RV

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Steve Ramsdell

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2017, 07:50:01 PM »

Welcome from northern Illinois (yet another one).  Hope to see your posts and see how this project goes forward.  We can all learn a little from this.
Steve

Back

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2017, 08:36:56 AM »

Hi and Welcome

Limited space and weight. If you can afford it I would get a Genie set up. It is less than 3 ft long and with all the options you can get it will do just about everything for cabbing that I can think of. The saw is the weakest part because of size limit of the rough and it is not a true slab saw. You have to cut smalls slabs free hand and the blade is only 8 in. On the + side if space for me was a huge issue I could see myself making a gravity feed for it.

Hope that helps
Bless
Shawn

edgarscale

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2017, 01:41:56 PM »

hi and welcome from one newbie to another.  this site is great and the people are super.  we have a pop-up trailer and an RV and travel with my lapidary and jewlery making tools.  i have bought many used tools and supplies from yard sales, estate sale and rock and gem shows.  most are in good shape and because i'm a senior and my hands are slowly getting weaker i have bought lighter weighted goods.  not all light weight products are good for long term use due to wear and tear ad you end up spending more to replae those items.  that is a waste of money.   save to buy the best you can.  buy quality and by buying quality the items may be heavy.   you may have to throw out a pot or two in the RV to compensate for the added weight. 

50% rockhound and 50% wire wrap
       ='s one great pendant

admp999

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2017, 12:38:35 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 53 queries.