Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: silver / blue coating on Oregon Jasper, need help  (Read 2750 times)

55fossil

silver / blue coating on Oregon Jasper, need help
« on: June 28, 2017, 07:43:21 AM »

Someone on the forum mentioned they had seen jasper from central Oregon with a shiny silver coating. The new jasper I will be selling has a similar coating. I will post more pictures soon. I am still unpacking from my move and in much disarray....  Soooo, if anyone is familiar with this silvery- blue coating please jump in with a post. I am trying to find out if it is a late intrusion mineral or????  I had an assay and it came up with 10 percent iron, no toxic stuff like mercury and of course nothing of value like gold or silver. 

Kaljaia

Re: silver / blue coating on Oregon Jasper, need help
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 08:17:27 AM »

I'd love to know more too... it's not unusual here to find stuff with a thin shiny patina, usually silvery to rust color, and I have associated it with exposure to wildfire.
- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon.

rocks2dust

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 09:25:33 AM »

I have associated it with exposure to wildfire.
I suspect that you are correct; I've seen silvery coatings produced when iron content bloomed on surfaces due to intense heat. I suppose that there are other metals that could similarly migrate to the surface to produce a metallic patina. BTW, did the Rhodes Canyon fire affect any of your collecting spots?

Per OP: you might try flaking a small bit of the silver/blue rind and see if it is attracted to a strong magnet. Both iron and copper could produce the shiny silver to bluish surface coating.

55fossil

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 10:19:18 AM »

Not from surface fire...  This material has gone down to 100 feet below the surface and may go deeper. This jasper was extensively broken up at one time. A lot of brecciated material but also flow patterns that look like metamorphic.  It is most likely an old volcanic deposit that was lifted and faulted and intruded multiple times.  Assay shows 10 percent iron content on whole rock. I plan on doing a separate assay of the shiny silver/blue coating. Usually a thin coating but some pieces may go 1/2 inch thick and over an ounce.

lapidaryrough

• www.lapidaryrough.com
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 12:36:26 PM »

Or a geothermal  smoker stack from off the coast. where you find Biggs, Wasco, wild house or any coast line material was most likely from geothermal venting on land or deep ocean. the colors of most jasper in Oregon from sea sediment an snow from  organisms falling to sea floor. and run off from continental shelf sediments.   Oregon has the worlds largest pillow basalt flow. And obsidian flow. largest agate outcrop  50 mile radius around Prineville Oregon. and to top the list off, Largest petrified forest. An big footed rock hounds loose. in the back yard.   

in central Oregon east of Madras theirs  a lot of silver mines and in solution would coat any thing down flow in a aqua flow zone. hematite  iron  basalt with a 70% silica content.
Same as rhyolite flows with gas pockets  close to the slag zone of specific gravity of mass.  pushing the gas bubbles to gather.
Oregon has the largest rhyolite flow in the world. Home of the thunder egg beds.   

Jasper is mud. sedimentation flows down hill and pay day is on Friday.   ask a plumber what i mean.

Well this is way to much from me,  50 post  is a lot of dazzling ........   from me.

Jack in Oregon. 
Silicate life form

55fossil

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 03:16:31 PM »

Jack;

You kind of baffled me with BS after the geothermal... Actually not baffled, just not sure what you were getting at.  I understand about jasper deposition. What I am looking for is solid information on what causes the silver / blue deposition and what it consists of. I know the material is a secondary deposition. Just wondering if anyone has seen any formal information on this type of material. It is definitely a volcanic material, not a snow sediment from deep ocean.
thanks for the input

lapidaryrough

• www.lapidaryrough.com
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 04:14:41 PM »

since the Columbia gorge crack has eroded  to what you see today theirs been over 70 glacial flows of sediment layers - Strata in the gorge. covering the sea floor sediment. the Pacific plate uplifted the north American draining land mass that was below sea  level.
Hydration of silicates in geothermal vent well coat stain. manganese in ground water.   so over the past 240 million years of formation,
Though most of the material is less then `130 million, about the time  Gingko fin formation was encapsulated on top of the sea sediments. 
As for the staining of silicates. periodic table of elements.
And Oregon is just a  brecciated plate.
Well drilling  in the Oregon iv seen many colors in the pillow basalt in the Salem Oregon area down to 380 ft.
Richardson ranch, out by the caves pass the  Wilson creek is the silver mines.
Cinnabar.
Send it off to the -  U.S. burial of mines. 

Signed B.S. in Or-a-gone...........

Only a geologist well get you pass the dazzling ..... you'll here from me!

Silicate life form

Kaljaia

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 10:12:33 AM »

I have associated it with exposure to wildfire.
I suspect that you are correct; I've seen silvery coatings produced when iron content bloomed on surfaces due to intense heat. I suppose that there are other metals that could similarly migrate to the surface to produce a metallic patina. BTW, did the Rhodes Canyon fire affect any of your collecting spots?

Per OP: you might try flaking a small bit of the silver/blue rind and see if it is attracted to a strong magnet. Both iron and copper could produce the shiny silver to bluish surface coating.

No, I'm on the far side of the river. Had a great view of it though!

@55fossil
Do you have any photos of the stuff? Perhaps a geothermal vent coming up through a layer containing jasper would have produced enough heat to cause the iron blooming. Keep us updated on the assay.
- Erika

I rock hunt in the Antelope/Ashwood area of the John Day river basin in Oregon.

55fossil

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 06:32:28 AM »

I have been out collecting more specimens of all the associated rock around the jasper deposit. The rock says this was a definite subduction / uplift zone that caused a lot of metamorphism in the rocks. The blue stuff appears to be blue schist along with a green schist. A lot of green serpentine with white veins in the area and a lot of material I cannot identify. So, if you google blue schist there are tons of pictures and information about how this stuff formed.
    I have now gotten one of my saws running after moving. I hope to post pictures of the new material tonight. Some very spectacular combinations of color and a lot of marcasite veins. To the saw.......

lapidaryrough

• www.lapidaryrough.com
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2017, 08:36:58 AM »

Schist happens   

Jim  Coon Tillamonk Oregon,  Has a large supply of this material. Said to be 3.8 billion.

Great material to cab ...... though easy to chip and flute the edge of cleavage  plan.

Jack

Silicate life form

55fossil

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2017, 11:17:26 AM »

Yep, Jim is a good guy to buy from.  I have a few pounds or so myself.  pictures today.  rough first, slabs soon after, saw is going full bore

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2017, 12:33:43 PM »

The same silvery and black/blue coatings also happen in the larger fractures throughout the Stone Canyon Jasper formation in California. The micro fractures tend to be clean.  The brecciated jasper there also deals with a lot of heat and pressure during it's brecciation and re-solidification process.  I have also noticed in some where the coating is thicker and the pieces smaller that black heavy dendrites form in the first 1/4 inch of the jasper and grow inward from the rind perpendicular to the outer edge.  Sometimes these pieces the Jasper tends to suffer from whatever process occurred to the outside of piece and the jasper almost seems over cooker and brittle and seems to have lost some of it's silication if that is possible.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 46 queries.