Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bruneau Jasper  (Read 1515 times)

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
Bruneau Jasper
« on: October 15, 2017, 08:40:28 AM »

Yesterday Vince and I went over to a club member's house to help him get rid of some of his rough.  We came back with this and an invitation to go hounding in his shop:   :toothy10:

Robin

Stonemon

Re: Bruno Jasper
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 08:55:21 AM »

Nice score!!!  :Worthy:  I was just talking yesterday to a forum member about getting some Bruneau Canyon... I have cut almost all of it I own.
The stuff is getting hard to find. Show us some cabs!
Bill

Bill

hummingbirdstones

• Administrator
Re: Bruneau Jasper
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 09:31:45 AM »

I was pretty psyched at the invitation.  We had bought a bucket from him last year and he told us at our meeting last month that he had found 4 more buckets of it.  He used to go dig this and all kinds of stuff back in the day.  He's losing his eyesight now and can't see well enough to work on it anymore.

It's unfortunate, as he's a very talented lapidary and smith and would occasionally write articles for Rock and Gem and Lapidary Journal.  My favorite article was a how to do inlay article where he constructed a roadrunner.  I had that article saved before I ever even moved from Chicago and met him.  He still has that roadrunner that he made and it is beautiful.  I keep trying to buy it from him, but he won't sell it!   :laughing6:

He made a hat band out of Bruneau cabs that is gorgeous.  Made one out of Morrisonite cabs, too, that I would kill for!

Have to cut some slabs of the Bruneau (that's Vince's job) and cut them.  I'll post them when I do.
Robin

lapidaryrough

• www.lapidaryrough.com
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 08:57:25 PM »

Hold on to the Black Brunrea jasper rarest to find.
Silicate life form

hummingbirdstones

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 06:46:59 AM »

Oh, I know.  Have some of the green, too.   :icon_sunny:
Robin

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 07:50:19 AM »

Yeah, we were lucky to get some greens and blacks from our friend. He had a parcel of three nodules 8-9" in diameter he sold last year at our club's show. Let's just say those were above our budget, so we bought a bucket of smaller pieces.

He told us prior to his move here in 1985 they just threw little chunks like this over the edge of the hill there. They were only after pieces "the size of a bowling ball" with visible orbs. The ones in the photos here were his low-end pieces that weren't even good enough to keep with what he sold last year. Those were the days, eh?

Oh yeah - our friend Max wasn't one of the miners, he was just lucky enough to know some of them. That's how he was able to go hounding in "the pit" the other guys were tossing stuff like this into... .
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 35 queries.