Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Language problems  (Read 8095 times)

Asianfire

• Global Moderator
Language problems
« on: June 02, 2015, 08:50:58 AM »

Well, well, well.......

Postby Queenie » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:32 pm
It looks as if you may have had some Prisoners of Her Majesty from the North East shipped over there a ways back. The term yakka, for hard work, in the North East a 'pit yakker' was what we called a face worker down the coal mines. :idea:

aussie lingo

Postby OpalAuctions Tech » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:21 am
it looks like your right http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=yakka

Here is quite a comprehensive guide for any would be travellers to Australia http://www.koalanet.com.au/australian-slang.html

As you can see we've developed some tender slang to describe our part-English origins:

Pom, pommy : an Englishman
Pommy bastard : an Englishman
Pommy shower : using deodorant instead of taking a shower
Pommy's towel, as dry as a : very dry - based on the canard that Poms bathe about once a month

Note the use of the word bastard, this is meant without offence, for example we could call anyone on the street a bastard - it is virtually interchangeable with the word mate which we often find ourselves calling people at first meeting whether we like them or not.... just some of the subtleties of the aussie slang.

Postby azvinnie » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:40 pm
Well - this could be entertaining! As I'm a yank by birth, who's had the priveledge of first-hand education in the subtleties of brit attitudes toward all us "colonials", I'm looking forward to this little discussion. The owner of my favorite licquor stores in the area here hails from England. And we had some hilarious discussions along those lines - before I sobered up, that is. He'd say something about us colonials - and I'd say something about the only colony in recent times being prince Harry's ant farm... . You get the idea.

Postby Queenie » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:47 pm
Nae offence tekken (no offence taken).
Ye'll find that nigh on ivvorybugger (almost everybody) in the North East could swear fer ten minutes langer(longer) th'n Shane MacGowan (pissed up Irishman, sings wi The Pogues. Face like a sack of angry weasels and not a lot o' teeth. Writes some beautiful songs though.) an nivvor say the same word twice. The North East, where the men are men and the women aren't far off it either.
We frequently tell folk to '*explicit*' even when we divvent really want them to. The North East of England doesn't so much have an accent as a language all of it's own.
My sister's friend Alex moved to England from Chicago. He's a musician and was touring with an old mate of ours at the time. Poor child thought we all spoke like Hugh Grant, didn't realise the accent changes every 5 miles down the road!

Postby Queenie » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:52 pm
And I'll have you know, some of us bathe once a week, whether we need the bugger or not :x
Anything not given, is lost.

ToTheSummit

Re: Language problems
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 01:55:30 PM »

I lived in Australia for a couple years.   The different slang took some getting used to when I first went down there.  It was the slang and not the accent that made it hard to understand the Aussies at first.

I saw this video a while back.  It is a good illustration of the difference between American English and Australian English.
https://youtu.be/AWu3LhfA3fw

Asianfire

• Global Moderator
Re: Language problems
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 04:27:58 PM »

:LOLOL: Could get into quite some trouble if you take the stuff according to your own understanding...  :LOLOL:

Just imagine what happens when you send your kid with the wrong rubber to school........  :DRUNKS:
Anything not given, is lost.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 29 queries.