Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Porcellanite vs Bertrandite  (Read 1044 times)

iamrockaholic

Porcellanite vs Bertrandite
« on: August 10, 2018, 01:27:03 PM »

I purchased a large 55 lb rock at Franklin Rock & Gem show last May.  They were not sure what it was and neither could agree what it was.  We liked the colors and brought it home.  We recently cut it andit was gorgeous.  After lots of research, we found it to be Porcellanite and some called it Tiffany stone.  When I looked up Tiffany Stone it sais Bertrandite.  If I can figure out how to upload a pic, could someone possibly help me determine which it is?

ToTheSummit

Re: Porcellanite vs Bertrandite
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 01:34:41 PM »

It looks like what I have always been told was called "porcelain jasper".  This is a trade name, not to be confused with the descriptor of a 'porcelain jasper', which is a term used to describe very hard jaspers that take mirror polishes (morrisonite, willow creek, imperial, etc).

Google search "porcelain jasper" and look at images to compare.

hummingbirdstones

• Opalholic and General Rock Nut
  • Administrator
    • Hummingbird Stones Lapidary Services
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 08:32:19 PM »

Robin

catmandewe

• Global Moderator
    • Idaho Rock Shop
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 07:56:17 PM »

Yes looks like Porcelain jasper aka Exotica jasper aka Sci-FI jasper. It is some pretty cool stuff, you will like it

Tony

www.IdahoRockShop.com

Authorized Diamond Pacific Dealer

VegasJames

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 10:07:24 PM »

Want to add that bertrandite and Tiffany stone are not the same thing. Tiffany stone is a mixture of minerals, up to 16 different minerals. This includes bertrandite that may or may not be present in Tiffany stone. Bertrandite is actually found in multiple locations around the world. Tiffany stone is only found in a few locations in Utah and a couple in Nevada. Although another common myth is that it is only found in one mine in Utah. It is also commonly referred to as opalized fluorite, which in my opinion is also misleading since opal may be present but as far as my research has shown fluorite does not opalize. Calcium sources will. And some Tiffany stone does not contain fluorite.

iamrockaholic

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 11:17:04 AM »

Thank you very much!  I have learned so much from this forum.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 37 queries.