Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yellow Skin Jasper thats mint green?  (Read 1616 times)

iamrockaholic

Yellow Skin Jasper thats mint green?
« on: October 02, 2018, 10:51:14 PM »

This rock came from Franklin show last May labeled Yellow Skin Jasper.  I have been unable to find anything resembling this.  Its heavy, solid, not vuggy and its minty green with blue/gray striations.  I have taken several pictures and can't seem to get the mint green color correct to match the slab.  Help please and thanks.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
Re: Yellow Skin Jasper thats mint green?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 07:24:51 PM »

I definitely do not know what it is for sure.  Looking at a close up of the bottom right edge the material looks more "sugary" than a Jasper and to me looks more like a grainy material like an aventurine like material.  When you said Franklin is that the New Jersey Franklin?  So many different types of minerals back there.  So many people here, someone will recognize it for sure

iamrockaholic

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 09:33:41 PM »

Actually it was Franklin, NC last May.  We go to the William Holland School of Lapidary and stay for the GLW and local rock shows. Our problem is that he buys for quality and content and I buy cause its pretty.  But, my hubby is a really smart man, he may not be able to identify what I bring home, but he will slab it and cab it, cause he knows, if momma ain't happy .......

All kidding aside, he slabbed it, but he won't cab it until he knows what it is, and in trying to prove a point to me he's making me identify it.  I've been through all my Patty Polk books and the internet to no avail.  I almost feel like it was dyed that color but can you dye an entire rock?

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 09:51:15 PM »

It does not look dyed at all to me.  Nothing wrong with buying pretty for sure.  If it doesn't interest you better to leave it anyway.  There are plenty of "popular" materials that I don't have any desire for.  And your husband has it right Happy Wife Happy Life.

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 07:39:09 AM »

What's the hardness on it? Looks like white material on the edges - what does the rind look like? If you have any other photos showing how the pattern might (or might not) change that could also be helpful.

Some features of your rough remind me of something we've had here, but can't say from the pics so far.

iamrockaholic

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 05:12:23 PM »

Thanks Vince.  I'll see if I can get a better picture tomorrow.  Its heavy and solid with hardness probably around 4.  It kinda reminds me of Ballarat Onyx where most of the fracture lines are in the grey strata.  Couldn't find it under onyx either.  Thanks all!

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2018, 07:33:10 PM »

magnesite.

vitzitziltecpatl

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2018, 09:35:32 PM »

I'd say Magnesite would be the most likely suspect if that's what Mr. Lithic says. Especially if the overall color of the lighter parts in your photo is mint green.

If the overall color was off-white with green areas I was beginning to wonder if it was a piece of Picasso Marble without the characteristic random lines. We have a slab or two here with larger "clear" off-white areas adjacent to the green. It doesn't look exactly like yours, but close enough to make me wonder.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2018, 08:29:36 AM »

In Washington state there is huge amounts of magnesite but interestingly I suspect that the Franklin marbles  which are the country rock for the Franklin and Ogdensburg mines right where you bought the rock contain magnesite along with the huge variety of minerals in the ore body.I used to live there and my Dad mined in the area and lots of specimens changed hands .

iamrockaholic

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2018, 11:25:55 AM »

Thanks everyone for your help and input!  I took 2 photos of the rind to see if that can help.  Otherwise its going up as Mystery Rock which I hate to do. 

qtz2010

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2018, 03:26:00 PM »

Hi, it's probably Marble.

Jhon P

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2018, 07:48:17 AM »

It looks like a green jasper that I got a piece of one time. It came from Utah if I remember correctly

55fossil

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2018, 05:58:49 PM »

The two things I really notice are;    Hardness is 4  and the green area where the rock is flaking off.  These are two great clues that I have no answer for.  good luck.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 51 queries.