Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Coolant delivery on Titan  (Read 1250 times)

brentnewton

Coolant delivery on Titan
« on: February 20, 2019, 06:50:23 AM »

I have a DP Titan ... the water "spitter" died years ago and I have been using a aftermarket one.   Seems like I remember you can buy rebuild kits for the Titan spitter ... but honestly I hate spitters.  Is there a better solution?  A better spitter?   I never seem to feel like I am getting enough water on the wheel.  I have toyed with the idea of installing a tank and pump and hoses, etc ... is there a downside to flooding diamond wheels???

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Re: Coolant delivery on Titan
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 08:21:55 AM »

With the Titan there is a downside. I can't production cut with spitters so
I use a  water bucket above  with a tube and valve that I move to each wheel as I cut. I drill holes just large enough for the aquarium tubing above the wheel site.This works well so that I can hog away rough but something about the design of the hood above the wheels always seems to direct water to the baseboard and motor mount.I now elevate my pans a bit and use anything I can to deflect these wayward drips and use towels to sop up what cannot be caught. The Titan is a nice machine but I have a 50 year old cabber that is simply more functional for production cutting. Time for new bearings on the old machine and just use the Titan for fine sanding.

kenny

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 08:56:50 AM »

I haven't gotten one of these yet but am planning on it . Will use with an aquarium pump. This is just an example of the type not necessarily recommending this particular unit.

https://www.amazon.com/MH-GLOBAL-Magnetic-Diameter-Flexible/dp/B07M8XVCDY/ref=sr_1_25?crid=24IB5JLOZVJR2&keywords=flexible+coolant+pipe&qid=1550681458&s=gateway&sprefix=flexible+coolant%2Caps%2C426&sr=8-25

brentnewton

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 09:37:02 AM »

Kenny ... well, that looks like a slick solution if it works.  I just ordered two of them and will report back on how effective they are when I get them.  Thanks!    I really didn't want to go installing a bucket and pump, lines, etc ... so hope this works.  I am thinking I may have to drill a small hole in the top of the covers over each wheel  and poke the nozzle in ... we'll see.

brentnewton

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 09:40:56 AM »

And lithicbeads .... personally I miss silicon carbide some days.   I like roughing on diamond ... but sure do like those flexible drums with sandpaper.   I still do some final sanding on a silicon carbide expando-drum and polish on cerium oxide on leather .... just seems to do a better job on the stuff I cut, which is 90% quartz stuff like chalcedony, jasper, agates, gem silica, chrysoprase, etc.   I may just be old and set in my ways too .... I have 50 years of experience ... only its the same year of experience 50 times .. LOL!

Michael

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2019, 10:07:24 AM »

I have bought two $9.00 harbor freight aquarium pumps, one for each of my units.  They work fine with needle valves from HD and I get sufficient water on my 6" wheels and expandos.  They are both going strong after three years. 

brentnewton

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2019, 10:14:31 AM »

I may just .... put a bucket on top of the cover and epoxy in a hose and use these magnetic thingies and let it gravity feed.  Guess there is more than one way to skin a cat.   I figure if I just direct the hose to the front of the wheel ... I'm going to get real wet, so I gotta figure out where to introduce the water.  For that matter ... I guess a bucket, some hoses and a few valves on top of the cover would be about as good a solution.  But I suspect the problem quickly becomes emptying the trays .... with the spitters at least you are recycling the coolant and it does not get too full.

bobby1

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2019, 10:22:33 AM »

I use aquarium pumps (the highest volume ones) and a spitter from Kingsley North. It is a much higher volume spitter than the DP ones. I think Kingsley North calls them wheel wetters.
Bob

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2019, 02:56:53 PM »

I also use sic mostly the coarse grits and they definitely need lots of lubrication.

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2019, 07:55:23 PM »

I have one of the Titan pumps still working and I use 2 of the Kingsley North Spitters (1 for each side) so I don't have to swap them back and forth.  The combination of the DP spitter and the Kingsley North keeps my wheels well lubricated side to side.

kent

• Fine Woodwork and Lapidary
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2019, 09:03:14 AM »

I use a 2 1/2 gallon plastic Nalgene jug that rests on a wood shelf about 2 1/2 feet above my wheels. The water pressure from gravity is more than adequate.
One thing that has helped distribute the water over the full width of my expando is a small piece of woven cloth material. The material is about 3/16" thick and very dense. I had made a water spray over the expando with a short piece of tubing with several holes drilled in it however the water "drips" favor the feed side (tank side) and came out at a lesser amount at the far downstream side. The woven cloth helped get water over the full width.
IMG_4551.jpg
*IMG_4551.jpg (78.38 kB . 450x600 - viewed 229 times)
IMG_4550.jpg
*IMG_4550.jpg (80.79 kB . 600x450 - viewed 215 times)
IMG_4552.jpg
*IMG_4552.jpg (72.58 kB . 450x600 - viewed 206 times)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 47 queries.