Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Silly question  (Read 1608 times)

drnihili

Silly question
« on: March 15, 2015, 05:13:39 PM »

What grit do you reckon scotch brite pads are? :blob1:

Bentiron

Re: Silly question
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 05:16:07 PM »

I don't know but have used them often to put a nice "scratch" matte finish on bronze, copper and silver castings. :WEEEE:

drnihili

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 05:36:32 PM »

I'm using one to try to smooth out the bumpiness on a curve.  It's a quarter of a one inch radius circle in one direction and sixth of a 2 in circle in the other.  No matter how I grind it, the outside of the curve is all full of bumps.   :nono:

drnihili

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 06:07:57 PM »

Well, it was an idea.  Smooth out the grinding bumps, but added some substantial ones form undercutting.  I guess it's back to the wheel for me. :Bash:

MrsWTownsend

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 08:46:09 PM »

Try wet/dry sandpaper???  You can get "Scotchbrite" pads in different degrees of coarseness too- they sell one now for using on ceramic flat top stoves that isn't supposed to scratch the ceramic, it's blue.  We use ones at work that will buff light scratches out of metal and still leave a 16 Ra micro finish, these are a brownish rust color.

drnihili

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 09:00:13 PM »

I've got lots of the blue one, but I think it's not just the grit that is different, but also the hardness of the grit.  The blue ones aren't a lot finer than the green, they just aren't hard enough to scratch.  I'll have to look up the brown ones, I haven't seen them
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 37 queries.