Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I might have bit off more than I can chew.  (Read 3389 times)

Helene Fielder

• Administrator
    • Helene Fielder Sculptures
I might have bit off more than I can chew.
« on: December 27, 2014, 09:17:46 PM »

So I'm working on vOz's ring on Christmas Day. I really wanted it to be finished before the beginning of the year in a bad way. After the third attempt to mount the stone it broke once again. Always the black jade. Yup that's right I had to re-cut that piece of jade three times. I like the design. vOz is an active man and is rough with his rings. Since he plays the guitar and piano he wanted something low for that active lifestyle of his. Since he is a huge supporter of art and truly has an artists heart I felt this design would be as unique as he is. Right now I'm feeling like I bit off more than I can chew. The design is not a simple one.

Looking at the cut stones I see now that the chrysoprase was a bad choice. It needs to be cut as a high domed stone. It's translucency does not work well in a thin cab, diluting its gorgeous coloring too much. I'm going to re-cut both stones. I'm thinking a deep green varisite or maw sit sit will give the vibrancy in color this ring needs.

The gold bezel still needs clean-up work. I have my fingers crossed that taking out the already mounted stones and replacing the new stones will not damage the gold bezel to the point I can not clean it up to give this ring the fine craftsmanship required.

Helene

MrsWTownsend

Re: I might have bit off more than I can chew.
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 12:21:08 AM »

Helene, you are an amazing craftswoman.  You can do this, and when it is complete it will be amazing too.

Rockin' Tapatalk

liz

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 04:01:41 AM »

WOW!!!

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 09:09:04 AM »

Helene,
I think it looks gorgeous and whatever perceived flaws you might see in it I believe you can easily remedy.

If you have any concerns about the bezels just anneal them after removing the stones.  That should help.

Bentiron

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 04:04:50 PM »

You may be correct about the green but have you considered jade for that part of the ring?

Helene Fielder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 06:43:35 PM »

Jade might do the trick it would be a bit harder than varisite Bent. 

After a break from this ring, and an uplift from my friends I feel better about tackling this ring once more.  I ripped out the bezel today, refiled and am ready to add a new bezel.  What a difference in attitude.  I was ready to throw it across the studio.

Thanks everyone, your awesome!
Helene

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 07:09:35 PM »

You operate on a very even keel from what I have seen so this must be quite the challenge.Good luck with this and keep giggling, you need it now.

Helene Fielder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 09:50:26 AM »

Frank You are one of those special people in this world that motivate and uplift others.  Even when I know you yourself are going through some difficult physical pains. 

We should do a poll to see if giggling women is a good or an annoying trait.  All week I am going to practice a smile without the added sound.  How about no smile just a twinkle in the eyes? 
Helene

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 10:35:20 AM »

You have the most sincerely happy giggle I have ever had the pleasure to hear. You changed my take on giggling. Driving through the Montana night hearing you and Karen converse and giggle was a bit of an awakening for me as we haven't been around a friend we got along with so well since my climbing years. I am all for therapeutic giggling!

Bentiron

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2015, 03:49:12 PM »

Usually when things aren't going right for me I throw hammers or take the offending object and turn the torch up and MELT it down into a puddle. My wife objects to my throwing hammers so I now just melt down the offending object and reforge it into something new. That seems to cleanse my soul of all my vileness.

LithicStrings

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2015, 09:17:52 AM »

The design is beautiful - just what we would expect from Aunt Helene
Just keep giggling and finish it up for a fresh start to the new year!

Helene Fielder

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2015, 12:07:23 PM »

Thanks Karen.  Auntie is working on the new bezel this morning and trying to find that quiet place. 

Bent I like the cleansing of the soul statement.  Drawing does that for me.  When I hit a brick wall sketching or looking through older sketches helps me solidify ideas and plans.  I've never wrote in a journal, but can see how that would be a similar concept.  Connecting with individuals on this forum is a positive motivator. 
Helene
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 49 queries.