Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dry polishing pads  (Read 1399 times)

wampidy

• A ring on the hand is worth two on the bush
Dry polishing pads
« on: November 07, 2015, 06:09:00 AM »

A while back I mentioned that I was going to experiment on jade with some dry polishing pads and I am happy to say they work, but not on everything. They work best on the Turkish purple jade and put a water shine on it. I only bought a 1500 and 3000 grit pad so I do not know how it would go with a full set. They can be found here and only come in 4 inch.

http://www.toolocity.com/4-monster-dry-diamond-polishing-pads.aspx

Here is the difference between a water shine and dry shine. I still have a lot of experimenting to do (pressure and duration) so this info is not complete. BC jade did not work at all but I could not put a shine on that stuff if my life depended on it. Washington jade is iffy but it works a bit better than what I was getting before.

I just put up all the photos I took so maybe you get an idea how it went.
Jim
I threw a stone into the air.
It came to earth "ouch"
I now know where.
You can quote me on this, I have the scar.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
Re: Dry polishing pads
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 08:51:37 AM »

Very good examples. We use any resin bonded pads or wheels that are too worn for agates and they usually work very well. I try to start with a damp wheel and run it dry. As it drys the wheels grabs the stone to a greater extent. When totally dry the polishing action slows. Some jades require going back to a very worn 600 then progressing to 1200 and 3000.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 29 queries.