Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: To clean saw oil?  (Read 6067 times)

Grayco

To clean saw oil?
« on: January 23, 2017, 02:03:23 PM »

If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

-Red Green-

jakesrocks

Re: To clean saw oil?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 02:24:59 PM »

Interesting. Will the bag fit inside of a 5 gallon plastic bucket ?
A day spent without learning something new is a day wasted.

Grayco

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 03:31:38 PM »

Interesting. Will the bag fit inside of a 5 gallon plastic bucket ?

HMMMMM....  I did a little checking.  The one in the picture would not fit in a bucket, but Mir-Oil sells a filter bag for a round filter pot.

Mir-Oil is closed now, but I have a call in for more information.  I'll let you know when I get dimensions and prices.

In the attached picture, the D900B bag would fit the 40LC filter Pot.  That might work great in a 5 gallon bucket.

-Red Green-

Slabbercabber

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 08:27:39 AM »

At that price I think it would be cheaper to buy fresh oil.  Rock sludge is not like frying crumbs.  The sludge itself slows the filtration.  I just use settling but has anyone tried old rags as filter media?

Jhon P

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 12:20:05 PM »

I double up paper bags from the grocery store. Takes time to filter all the oil but comes out clean and the bags are free

55fossil

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 03:18:04 PM »

If you are willing to filter your oil after every time you use your saw it might work. Paper bag filters and settling in a 5 gallon bucket are proven methods. It works and it is cheap even with the dirtiest oil.

Grayco

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 06:40:22 AM »

Greetings Slabbercabber, Jhon P and 55Fossil,
The cost of these filters is high.  Paper bags work and are inexpensive.  How about for online filtration?  What if I pump my oil up to the blade and filter it before I pump it up again.  Is there any advantage to running filtered oil?  I can see how I could easily wrap up a few hundred dollars in a filtration system.  Would it be worth it?  What is the downside of dirty oil?

Thanks
Glen

-Red Green-

sammygator

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 07:10:16 PM »

I double up paper bags from the grocery store. Takes time to filter all the oil but comes out clean and the bags are free
This is how I do it, too.

Barclay

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 08:48:43 PM »

Dirty oil is like sandpaper rubbing against everything moving in the saw.  it causes unnecessary friction with the blade which makes it wear out faster.

Grayco

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2017, 05:38:57 AM »

Dirty oil is like sandpaper rubbing against everything moving in the saw.  it causes unnecessary friction with the blade which makes it wear out faster.

OK, so pumping filtered oil would increase my blade life, and everything else inside the saw. 

Does anybody do this?  I have a 20" saw that I'm considering for a filtration system.

-Red Green-

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2017, 06:31:40 AM »

You can filter now or filter later.  Most saws that depend on the blade bathed a bit in the oil have sufficient oil tank volume that the particles settle out in the bottom until the oil is totally contaminated (i.e. every morning my saw has a clear layer of oil above the sediment).  Filter it often and you will be reducing particles to the cutting surface. Use a pump and settling system outside the saws tank and you can probably reduce sediment to the blade but it will involve a larger volume of oil (essentially the same as filtering more often).  Me I use the criterion of when my oil is dirty enough to stiffen a bit, contaminate the window on my cover, or fail to show settling even after an overnight quiet period - then I filter.  That batch filters and a new batch is reintroduced to the saw for continued cutting during the 2 week or so filtering process using the brown paper bag method.  A pump is a luxury, but from my perspective it involves a complicating factor of being potentially harder to control the amount of oil delivered to the blade and hence misting.  Its easy for me to determine how far into the oil my blade reaches, and hence how much oil it carries up to strike the rock being cut.  Using a pump would involve a valve to control that flow. When I cut rhyolite or softer rocks I have to change my oil more often, but normally even with heavy cutting, I can go a month or more without an oil cleanup.   Just my thoughts after using several types of saws. 
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

Slabbercabber

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2017, 02:10:16 PM »

Greetings Slabbercabber, Jhon P and 55Fossil,
The cost of these filters is high.  Paper bags work and are inexpensive.  How about for online filtration?  What if I pump my oil up to the blade and filter it before I pump it up again.  Is there any advantage to running filtered oil?  I can see how I could easily wrap up a few hundred dollars in a filtration system.  Would it be worth it?  What is the downside of dirty oil?

Thanks
Glen

My system uses two buckets under the saw.  A ½ gallon bucket is hung over a 5 gallon bucket.  The saw drains continually into the small bucket and cascades over into the large one where it is pumped to a pair of small copper tubes aimed at the saw blade.  When the small bucket gets about 2/3 full of sludge I dump the rest of the clean oil into the large bucket and the pudding into another bucket to further settle.  At this point it is too thick to filter.  Any pump that can work with water will pump thin oil.  IE swamp cooler, tile saw, sump pump, etc..  Over time a solid cake will build on the floor of the saw that can be scraped with a broad knife.  The more oil pumped the better.  If everything in your saw is properly aligned there should never be mist, but adding more oil will reduce the problem in any case as it will keep the blade cooler and since it is being pumped over the entire bod of the blade, any rubbing will also be well lubricated.

Grayco

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2017, 02:59:50 PM »

My system uses two buckets under the saw.  A ½ gallon bucket is hung over a 5 gallon bucket.  The saw drains continually into the small bucket and cascades over into the large one where it is pumped to a pair of small copper tubes aimed at the saw blade.  When the small bucket gets about 2/3 full of sludge I dump the rest of the clean oil into the large bucket and the pudding into another bucket to further settle.  At this point it is too thick to filter.  Any pump that can work with water will pump thin oil.  IE swamp cooler, tile saw, sump pump, etc..  Over time a solid cake will build on the floor of the saw that can be scraped with a broad knife.  The more oil pumped the better.  If everything in your saw is properly aligned there should never be mist, but adding more oil will reduce the problem in any case as it will keep the blade cooler and since it is being pumped over the entire bod of the blade, any rubbing will also be well lubricated.
[/quote]

Am I understanding correctly, that flooding the blade above the cut will reduce misting by keeping the blade cool and well lubricated?

-Red Green-

Slabbercabber

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2017, 05:16:23 AM »

Exactly.

fossilman

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2017, 07:31:33 AM »

I just put all the oil and sludge into a five gallon bucket and let it set.....Than as time goes buy I pull the oil off the top,till there isn't anymore....Usually a gallon or so,that's $25.00 right there.....
Than I dig a hole and bury the sludge......
God,family and life!!

Jhon P

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2017, 11:11:27 AM »

I finally got around to draining the 24" saw yesterday. Almost 15 gallons in that old beast. I stirred up up good to get the sludge suspended. I have four bucket filtering and 3/4 of a bucket full still to filter.

Jhon P

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2017, 11:18:04 AM »

Who was it that put the dirty oil in a bucket with water and stirred it than sat it outside when it is good and cold, after it freezes they poured the oil off. One time I took the sludge after I filtered it and put it in a plastic crate with water and stirred it good and let it set for a week. The oil floated to the top and I scooped it off. I didn't get enough oil to make it worth the effort. I guess it filtered most of it out.

Allen

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2017, 08:06:05 PM »

I have a 14" Lortone, run each afternoon for a hour or two so a fair bit of sludge.

My filters are brown paper lunch bags, nice and cheap.

To help the process my cutting oil consists of about 25% old automotive gear box oil.

The gear box oil has additives that help settle sludge to the bottom allowing easier removal and waste.

A further advantage is the old oil come free from a friends workshop.

kent

• Fine Woodwork and Lapidary
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2017, 06:27:25 AM »

Grayco,

I've posted this before but perhaps you would be curious about it. http://www.hplapidary.com/en/highland-park-everclean-integrated-oil-cleaning-for-mounting-on-machine

Its pricey for sure. Hard to beat paper bags and patience though....

Kent

Grayco

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2017, 07:05:49 AM »

Grayco,

I've posted this before but perhaps you would be curious about it. http://www.hplapidary.com/en/highland-park-everclean-integrated-oil-cleaning-for-mounting-on-machine

Its pricey for sure. Hard to beat paper bags and patience though....

Kent

Yes, it is expensive. $850  I could get a lot of paper bags for that  :smiley:  My saw is a homemade 20" saw. It is well designed and would require a couple gallons of oil to keep the blade wet.

My thought is to pump the oil to the blade and maybe reduce the required amount of oil to about a gallon.  My one concern with that is heat build up.  I'm guessing if you don't have enough oil, the heat cannot dissipate and the result will be shorter blade life and misting.
Any thoughts on this?

-Red Green-

kent

• Fine Woodwork and Lapidary
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2017, 12:50:33 PM »

The less oil you have the quicker it will contaminate. I don't think the heat factor would be an issue until the oil is contaminated. Then of course your throwing much more grit at your cut which would cause more friction and a rougher cut.

robirdman

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2018, 03:41:24 AM »

A big funnel lined with newspaper worked well for me.

lapidaryrough

• www.lapidaryrough.com
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2018, 12:55:31 PM »

I just put all the oil and sludge into a five gallon bucket and let it set.....Than as time goes buy I pull the oil off the top,till there isn't anymore....Usually a gallon or so,that's $25.00 right there.....

Mike  Is your yard a landfill?!  Put a lid on that five gallon bucket MIKE,   and you may use my garbage can.

Jack 
Silicate life form

Redrummd

• Global Moderator
    • Art In Stone
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2018, 02:49:03 PM »

Sludge is an environmental contaminate for decades.  Bag it and send it to a properly lined dump site.
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 70 queries.