Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help, Looking at Used Machines nees your opinions  (Read 3055 times)

raven.worldlrnr

Help, Looking at Used Machines nees your opinions
« on: June 10, 2017, 01:47:50 PM »

First let me apologize that the pics are the only information I have at the moment bc the son has it in the loft and waiting to get it down with a forklift. The original owner stopped using the machines 10yrs ago but they were in working order then. The son is willing to take a fair price but mot really sure what that is but did give me his dad's jewelers bench

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
Re: Help, Looking at Used Machines nees your opinions
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 03:03:36 PM »

Not sure what the first saw is from the back picture.  The flat lap looks to be Covington and they are pretty hardy, the main thing that goes on vibrating laps after long storage is the rubber balls they ride on to allow the pan action, they flatten out. 

The Tumblers also just never seem to go bad and repair is normally just a motor or belt replacement and easy.

The second to last pic is a drop saw pump from a 14" and it looks like it is sitting in the tray of the saw.  That type saw never has Arbor or bearing issues due to the way drop saws work.  I would just check that the pump works and if the motor runs you are in business.  The only trick with drop saws is getting the cut started so the blade doesn't deflect but that is easy to do.  All in all it looks like some equipment that should be pretty decent, just check motors on each and see if they run.

raven.worldlrnr

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 03:34:41 PM »

iRockhound, Thanks so much if it is as you say what would you pay? This is a friends dear friend and I don't want to take advantage and low ball but I don't want to over pay either.

raven.worldlrnr

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 03:36:59 PM »

Or should I just look at gettinh a starter system?

Slabbercabber

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2017, 05:10:08 PM »

That vibrating lap is an HP.  It rides on cables and they last forever.  If it is in good shape it should be worth $500.  The Thumblers tumblers are around $50 per barrel and the drive is another $50 and up depending on size.  Every slab saw is project from nearly nothing to way too much.

Steve Ramsdell

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2017, 05:22:18 PM »

I had a tumbler like that.  It had one looong barrel that leaked.  This one looks like a much better set up with 2 barrels.  The saw looks to be gravity fed.  They just need more attention when running.  Parts may be a problem and you may have to fabricate some.  Be gentle and discuss how much time and effort it will take to get each machine up and running.
Steve

raven.worldlrnr

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2017, 06:01:11 PM »

Thank you Steve

Debbie K

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2017, 06:15:54 AM »

I found a vibrating lap like this one at a garage sale about 7 years ago being offered for $50. I didn't buy it as I didn't have the room for it, always regretted it.

Debbie K

irockhound

• RockhoundingUSA
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 02:31:46 PM »

Fortunately I have gotten great deals from friends over the years on my used equipment.  The few that I bought from people I didn't know were about 300 for 10" saws and small grinders.  The larger pieces like my 12 was 300 but a friend and my 24" was 700 but also a friend.  14" drop saw was free.

jakesrocks

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2017, 08:43:14 AM »

That flat lap is a Highland Park Vibrolap. One of the best ever built. Looks like it will need a good cleaning, but if the price is right, it's well worth having. Diamond Pacific now builds that machine with only minor changes. Parts are available from them.
A day spent without learning something new is a day wasted.

raven.worldlrnr

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2017, 10:35:00 AM »

That vibrating lap is an HP.  It rides on cables and they last forever.  If it is in good shape it should be worth $500.  The Thumblers tumblers are around $50 per barrel and the drive is another $50 and up depending on size.  Every slab saw is project from nearly nothing to way too much.
Thanks Slabbercabber

raven.worldlrnr

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2017, 05:00:38 PM »

I just wanted to thank everyone for their input and help on this topic!!! I got all 3 for $150.00, of course they need belts, a good cleaning, some minor tweeking and the saw motor need some attention but I'm happy. I also was able to get a nice homemade jewelry bench with a surge protector built in along with a positional lamp and a Dayton 2 wheel buffer. But what really blew my mind was when I was leaving he handed me these in picture 4-6 and that's just 1 box. I still have 2 boxes to go thru

catmandewe

• Global Moderator
    • Idaho Rock Shop
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2017, 08:50:13 PM »

The extra stuff he threw in looks like he was a facetor. There is probably a faceting machine hidden somewhere also.

Tony
www.IdahoRockShop.com

Authorized Diamond Pacific Dealer

edgarscale

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2017, 01:53:21 PM »

exceptional deal.  one piece would have easily have been that price here in ontario, canada.  have fun in stripping them apart and rebuilding them.  i know i would...mary

50% rockhound and 50% wire wrap
       ='s one great pendant

raven.worldlrnr

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2017, 01:56:11 PM »

Thank you

raven.worldlrnr

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2017, 01:58:13 PM »

Hey Catmandewe,
Lucked out there on the facetor😕 The nephew took it with a bunch of stuff. I guess I'll just have to look for one😄

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 57 queries.