Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Grage sale find 8in cabber with 10in saw  (Read 1473 times)

Eric686

Grage sale find 8in cabber with 10in saw
« on: August 13, 2017, 10:03:17 AM »

So I got this very old Lapidary Outfit at a garage sale: 2 hard wheels, 1 sanding wheel, 1 felt wheel and a polishing pad on the end.
 let's just say the wheels are coarse and fine, then I go to the sand paper wheel I have been using 400,600, 800.  Then I have been using cerium powder on the end polishing wheel.

My Question is what do I put on the 1 inch felt wheel I am guessing diamond paste but there are so many grits to pick from??

https://goo.gl/photos/z1tZHBsH5JaS75kdA

rockherder

Re: Grage sale find 8in cabber with 10in saw
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 12:03:10 PM »

I'm not really sure what you would load on a felt pad, but for general purpose polishing I would probably recommend a 3000 grit in addition to what you have.
-Doug in El Dorado Hills, CA

Slabbercabber

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 02:47:56 PM »

Just a heads up.  Most people cannot see Photobucket pictures.

Jhon P

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 06:19:09 PM »

Cerium oxcide polish would be the most likely guess on what was on it before

Eric686

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 03:35:19 AM »

Thanks for the heads up on the pictures from Photobucket,  They have always worked in the past in forums they must have changed something on their side.

I think that I'll try the 3000 diamond paste on it as rockherder suggested.

Eric686

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 03:15:12 PM »

I got the diamond past and put it on the felt wheel wow what a shiner I love it  I have the  Cerium oxide polish on the end wheel. 

Now I getting tired of the dished out hard wheels and found new Silicon Carbide Grinding Wheels on Rio Grand site for 30 dollars.  I took the old ones off but the identifiers were worn off,  I am thinking about 100 grit and 220 does that sound right?

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 04:20:29 PM »

You are thinking correctly, but might want to consider 80 instead of 100, but that depends on what you cut.  If you are an agate person go 80, but if you only work on softer materials you will be fine and or better with the 100.  For real soft or delicate stuff you might even want to start with the 220.  That's the one wheel I'm missing and I feel its costing me time and probably excessive wear on my 280.
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

Eric686

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 07:11:16 PM »

Thanks for the info I'll keep looking for the 80 grit. 
 I do like the agates I have a few that I am cutting into slabs now: Mexican Crazy lace, black and white I found at a garage sale here in Northern MI and some thunder eggs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 38 queries.