Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to wheatguy and his Pietersite Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: My triangle now has four sides  (Read 346 times)

John Robinson

Re: My triangle now has four sides
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2017, 02:57:44 PM »

The opal is very thin and I already broke it once, that is the reason I am keeping it underglas. By some niracle i have a mirror polish on it so I am done working on it. I plan to set it like I showed in the video and sell it as is...

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLi38UXCFfS5wCSfZ3onmO5MHcuiRxdESv

There are videos there of my two other Opals I hope to sell to buy equipment and stuff. I will posting others videos involving opals as art and other "for sale" opals as well

Neural

• Opal Addict
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2017, 03:00:54 PM »

Regarding the difference between what your eyes see, and what the camera sees:
Your eyes are two cameras, with a few inches between them.  The fire in opals can change, sometimes drastically, even within a few degrees change in the viewing angle.  Since a camera only represents one eye, you're only getting one angle on the fire, not two.  Additionally, if things are out of focus, you're going to pick up a bit more color for similar reasons.  Out of focus, the light is going to scatter more, etc.

The new backdrop is perfect.  Nice and black with little reflection.
OpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpalOpal

John Robinson

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2017, 03:16:33 PM »

Yes, the camera and the human eye definitely are different...
BTW - the reason the flash opal is so thin is because I cut the rough in half to get this bottom layer which looks like a good candidate for an aggregate but it has quite a different color pattern

IMG_1161.JPG
*IMG_1161.JPG (33.84 kB . 407x600 - viewed 37 times)

ASO

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2017, 10:01:20 PM »

A nice trick for a good cheep backing that I learned my last time in Lightning Ridge was to take a cheep piece of glass from the door section of a hardware store clean the back side and spray paint it heavily (so no lite shows from the back) with a flat or semigloss spray paint.  I prefer to use the semigloss.  If the glass is clean and the pics are shot in a darker room with the lite coming from behind the lens you shouldn't have to do any editing around the stone.   

John Robinson

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2017, 09:39:29 AM »

I decided not to cut it, but to make it the featured stone in a mosiac of flash opals that will fill a 30 mm pendant cab. I have flash opals from Australian white, but I am going to try to acquire some Spencer flash opals and use them instead. I have two areas of discoloration in the Spencer that I do have and I am concerned as to how much that affects the value (?) neither go all the way through but I am afraid if I try to use a burr to remove them the stone will crack. It appears to be exceptionally brittle.

ASO

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2017, 12:13:40 PM »

Yes not all Spencer is brittle but allot of what I have cut has been.  So I understand your concern making a triplet is probably the safest way to go.  Yes solid opals are almost always worth more but a cracked or crazed stone is worth nothing.  Protect your investment, you can make a top gem triplet and it will still have good value and more importantly be safe.  Flatten the top glue on the quartz make sure you have no bubbles, let it dry and then slowly grind off the back until you can start to see through the color bar then clean it and glue it to a black backing.  that thing will be safe and it will look great.  I saw a guy once who cushion cut his triplet cap and it gave the stone a very cool appearance like a kaleidoscope effect and it really increased the overall value of the stone.
Just an idea
good luck cutting
Adam     
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 31 queries.