Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Larimar.  (Read 2934 times)

Jhon P

Re: Larimar.
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2018, 03:46:15 PM »

Last time I purchased a slab it was $1.00 a gram for the premium rock

Michael

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2018, 04:38:33 PM »

I was in Tuscon this week end, and every show I went there was Larimar.  It seems to be one of the more popular stones this year.  The quality of the stuff really crossed the spectrum, from dull and chalky to the really colorful.  Everyone was asking the high $ / gram bit.  All the way from rough to finished stones.  After my experience trying to baby this stone to a polish, I looked, but did not touch.  Did not want the stuff to break in my fingers.  The finished jewelry, polished and set, looked fine.  My question is that unless the owner treats his/her piece with kid gloves with absolutely no jewel box drop, I wonder how popular this stone will be down the road.  Paying for a very nice cab of L and having it break, is not going to be a plus for this, should I call it stone?

Jhon P

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2018, 06:24:57 PM »

I did one for my wife, set in silver. She’s were it
A lot. It’s here favorite piece. It’s been about five years
I have bought a few slabs and the piece I did for my wife
Didn’t have any trouble cabbing it. I did a little research
And I bought quality rock

Michael

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2018, 12:40:14 PM »

I imagine there are L stones out there with higher silicate content than the average.  You were pleased with your stone and the results, and your wife is very happy with her jewelry piece.   I am glad for you.  I just wish my experience could have been similar.  On the surface, the quality Larimar is just really beautiful.  The fracturing and the crumbling on the piece I had, although I began with a 600 g. S/C belt, (on a soft drum) with plenty of water did not help much for me.  I believe I had an internally flawed piece of stone.  Like I said, the stone is the rage at commercial rock shows, and mostly represented by dealers from India.  Did not see any D/R - Larimar dealers at Tuscon, so I could talk to them about proper treatment and what they did to bring their stones to shape and polish.  I did meet an Ethiopian dealer of Welo Opal at the show.  The gentleman was very knowledgeable and helped me to select a couple of really nice stones at a very reasonable price.

I also came away with some very nice boulder opal rough, from an Australian miner selling these stones.  Excellent advice about how to cut it, sand, polish, etc.  It is a very unusual stone, and I have only had one experience, which came to be a disappointment.  After Mr. Cooper's tutorial about proper cutting, sanding and polishing that I got from him, I am anxious to try this again.  The name of the mine is Broken River Mining, Queensland, Aus. (Broken River Mining.com) and his wife, Sue Cooper who remained in Australia- supervising mining ( they do not strip it or leave eye sore gouges in the terrain.)  Her husband whose first name has left me, gave me encouragement to keep trying as he said that everyone working with this particular type of opal has has a very steep learning curve.  I wish there could have been a D/R rep about L. present.  Maybe there was.  I was not actively looking for L, so that may be the reason?
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 30 queries.