Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Indigo gabbro undercutting  (Read 1186 times)

ileney

Indigo gabbro undercutting
« on: September 06, 2017, 02:26:26 PM »

Anyone have experience with Indigo gabbro undercutting? Any suggestions? The dark grey metallic parts are undercutting wildly, even at only 600 Nova. The stuff is very weird. Mixed in with the shiny dark gray is what looks like a blue/lavenderish agate and maybe some moonstone or white labradorite. It's still an interesting stone with or without the undercutting. It has a very weird, organic, almost nautical vibe to it. My cut stone somehow reminds me of seashells or coral. I'm not sure if I want to bother stabbing the rest of the small stones I have as it undercuts so much.

vitzitziltecpatl

Re: Indigo gabbro undercutting
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 05:27:19 PM »

Hmmm. I seem to remember some softer spots in what we have. More so in one end of the chunk/slabs. We were able to cut and polish other areas okay. Maybe later I can get a pic of the one cab we still have on hand from it.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 07:48:21 PM »

Gabbro can have a lot of magnesium in it and it is very soft.

ileney

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 06:25:32 AM »

Thank you. Maybe it is Magnesium. I am rethinking this because it doesn't feel undercut when I touch it. It just looks undercut, if you know what I mean. Will have to post a picture later to show. It's a weird stone IMO.

lithicbeads

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 06:48:22 AM »

Gabbro is very variable in look.I cut some yesterday from the beach here in Washington and it was feldspar and hornblende and looks just as good unpolished as it does polished.We have lots of it here that you could call supersized.It has the same white and black mix but instead of the alternating black and white areas being 1/8 to 1/4 inch in size the materials get to be inches across  and irregular in distribution.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 33 queries.