Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Nasties today.  (Read 4719 times)

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
Nasties today.
« on: March 15, 2018, 05:34:53 PM »

saw cleaning day.  Tried moving an old bucket of murphy oil soap.  Bucket burst all over my patio.  Wife mad as a wet cat!!
So i ended up cleaning saw...... while i was cleaning patio in case i did it when i got to the saw.  May as well do it while there is already a mess.

Now heating the inside of the saw so the oil drips faster.

Yuck

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
Re: Nasties today.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 05:51:53 AM »

Nasty indeed.  What had you been cutting?  Limestone blocks or plasterboard?  A clean saw is almost as much fun to contemplate as a clean car. No go get it dirty. 
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 01:52:55 PM »

Most of this gray goo is from the teanaway basalts jasper and alot of crap rocks i thought where going to be good cutters.
The teanaway jasper is greenish blue in color, but when its gut it makes gray sludge.
I have the heat on hogh in my saw now, the bucket of goo went down 3/4 of an inch over night.

I also have a test bag, Charcoal Briquets bag actually, where i tore off the outer clayed type paper layer and using the two inner layers to double strain, i am findings its WAY slower. probably going to take two weeks to strain all this oil back into the saw.  :Bash:

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 01:54:29 PM »

but heated oil flows faster, so i will have to keep the 500 Watt halogen lit up in there.
Also have a 100 watt incandescent bulb pushing heat next to the second bag.
wish i would have just used standard grocery bags lol

Sapphireminer

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 05:48:44 PM »

Thought my saw was a mess glad I dont have to clean yours . Happy cleaning
Dave

peruano

• Retired Zoologist
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 07:54:43 PM »

I wish I had standard grocery bags.  Its seems bags are made tighter now, even Trader Joes' bags are slicker and therefore drain slower . . .  so I recently bought pillow cases at the thrift store.  I have not tried them yet, but please expect a report once the next saw cleanout is complete. 
Combining a love of bikes (pedal and otherwise) with hiking, hounding, lapidary, and the great outdoors

Redrummd

• Global Moderator
    • Art In Stone
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 08:57:08 PM »

Why do any of you clean your large saws?   I never empty any of my saws.   I do continually use a plastic 1 quart container to scoop muck the front of the saw and a board to reach under the carriage and right up to the blade.   I put a few quarts of the muck when it builds up a bit - into 5 gallon buckets and let the oil separate from the solids.  I pour off the clean oil back into the saw.   I have two saws and five buckets in use for settling.  I never filter the oil.  Rotate the buckets until the thickest muck is left in one bucket.   I then pour and scrape the "clay" into small plastic trash bags - double them up and tape them closed.  I then put the "clay/slurry" mix in with our trash which goes into a lined garbage dump site to never harm our environment.

I think a lot of you put too much "work" into this!

Sincerely,

Michael S. Hoover
Art In Stone

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2018, 09:09:34 PM »

Why do any of you clean your large saws?   I never empty any of my saws.   I do continually use a plastic 1 quart container to scoop muck the front of the saw and a board to reach under the carriage and right up to the blade.   I put a few quarts of the muck when it builds up a bit - into 5 gallon buckets and let the oil separate from the solids.  I pour off the clean oil back into the saw.   I have two saws and five buckets in use for settling.  I never filter the oil.  Rotate the buckets until the thickest muck is left in one bucket.   I then pour and scrape the "clay" into small plastic trash bags - double them up and tape them closed.  I then put the "clay/slurry" mix in with our trash which goes into a lined garbage dump site to never harm our environment.

I think a lot of you put too much "work" into this!

Sincerely,

Michael S. Hoover
Art In Stone

I usually do the same, i havent cleaned it like this since i purchased it.
I usually have a covered ship strainer willed with goo as well, i had alot of water in my saw and it was making oil leak out a tiy hole and onto my patio.
So, seeing that, i grabbed my goo bucket to put some into it and pour off the oil standing on top of the oil. made it two steps, maybe three to the front of the saw (on my patio) and the side of the bucket exploded from UV rays eating the plastic lol
I had wuite the serious mess and a VERY VERY unhappy woman.
So i spent the whole day scraping rock sludge into containers and vaccuming goo into another container connected to my Vac hose via smaller hoses

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2018, 09:10:05 PM »

I just clean out enough that the oil stays oil, not sludge lol

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2018, 09:11:51 PM »

I also didnt think double bagging the oil would make such a difference in time to drain through it.
But its taking A LONG TIME!

Oil only dropped an inch and its over 100 degrees in my saw with the lights heating it.

Redrummd

• Global Moderator
    • Art In Stone
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2018, 09:22:43 PM »

By the way - If you are a true business, try contacting local paint and building supply companies.  Ask if they sell shingle or fence oil.  Both of these are very light mineral oil and the solids separate from these two products fairly quickly.   

I buy mine through a wholesale chemical supply company for about $3.00 a gallon above the cost of diesel fuel - under $30  a five gallon pail. 

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2018, 06:50:27 AM »

and i am buying horse laxative mineral oil for $25 a gallon.
 I will have to look into this. I shouldnt need a business license for a purchase like that.
But i have friends with a business license just in case..

I would use hydraulic fluid, but i hate the stench it has.

Rockoteer

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2018, 09:59:54 AM »

Looks like the results of a lot of drinking and some deli-mart hot dogs.

Phishisgroovin

• Administrator
  • I am here by addiction
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2018, 09:47:34 PM »

this stuff is not draining through the charcoal bags, i may have to suction it all out again and replace the filter bags with grocery bags.

Ryaly2dogs

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2018, 05:31:02 PM »

Phish:  Try going through https://www.scahealth.com/scah/product/mineral-oil-light?requestFrom=search
I buy horse laxative mineral oil light through them at $14/gallon, and shipping is free after $50.  So I get my 4 gallons shipped free for $65.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 52 queries.