Applying to join this forum, you HAVE to activate your membership in YOUR email in the notice you recieve after completing application process. No activation on your part, no membership.

Lapidaryforum.net

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome new members & old from the Lapidary/Gemstone Community Forum. Please join up. You will be approved after spam check & you must manually activate your acct with the link in your email

Congratulations to Bobby1 and his Brazilian Agate Cab!

www.lapidaryforum.net

Another cabochon contest coming soon!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 3 finished. Sand gardens. 20+- pics  (Read 5366 times)

wampidy

• A ring on the hand is worth two on the bush
Re: Another post for my sand gardens. Many pics.
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2015, 06:17:48 PM »

Not sure how I missed this comment.

Hah, I have so many qualities you could not possibly find them all. If you only need four more I can pull that many out from under my cap. Uh, let me think, maybe those aren't qualities. My bad, they are quantities. And those things under my cap are hairs. I have four hairs under my cap. I'll get this figured out yet.
Jim
I threw a stone into the air.
It came to earth "ouch"
I now know where.
You can quote me on this, I have the scar.

ScarlettOSara

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2015, 08:34:55 PM »

LOLOL :)

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2015, 09:02:41 PM »

ROTFLMAO! :blob1:

wampidy

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2015, 11:15:46 PM »

I have made a lot of progress so I thought I would update on what is happening. I am trying to get several of these completed to the point of needing a finish put on them so I can do them all at once.

I have to keep changing things up to keep the interest up because I am not good at doing the same thing over and over. Went with curves on this one then stressed on how I was going to make the edges. I made two identical pieces then flipped one and glued them together.

I considered rope but then it had a bit of a Japanese cowboy look. I was digging through the wood rack at ACE hardware and found some pretty flexible wood that I am sure will work. I cut a bunch of strips and I will add them to the edge overlapping all the joints which should make them pretty strong.

I was looking through the trim wood at the lumber yard trying to find something to use on my son's painting canvas frames and found a Waynes Coat(sp) top trim that I thought might work on my sand gardens. It was so easy peasy I just about started dancing. I got the top rail and fancy side all in one shot. If these sell I can see me using a lot of this stuff.

Should be putting finish on in a few days. Thanks for your interest.
Jim
It came to earth "ouch"
I now know where.

wampidy

Re: Wood update Jan 28 sand gardens. Many pics.
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2015, 11:21:50 PM »

I also went from one eighth plywood to one quarter because the thin stuff is warped too much. It might not be a problem with the new trim sides because they should straighten things out.
Jim
It came to earth "ouch"
I now know where.

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2015, 07:04:19 AM »

I can't wait to see the next step Jim!   :headbang:

Itsandbits

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2015, 07:31:34 AM »

I can't wait to see the next step Jim!   :headbang:
Same, you go Jim!!!
rocks and people have a lot in common; one persons "leaverite" is anothers treasure

wampidy

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2015, 05:18:48 AM »

Things went good yesterday. The first lap of edge wood is glued on so today I will be adding the second and third at the same time.

I put wax paper down so I would not glue everything to the table, clamped the base down so it would not move then started gluing the edge in place. I used spring clamps to hold the edge in place while the glue dried. With the glue I am using I have to leave the pieces clamped for two hours. It still went pretty fast and I finished the first go around. I could only put on three pieces at a time then move over.

I finished the garden floor with the trim boards for sides. It looks pretty fancy even though it is just a rectangle so I blocked off a corner so I could add something there that will be outside the sand area. What I am going to put there is a secret for now but it is going to be so cool it will knock your socks off. (well maybe)

I am glad there is some interest in this project and appreciate all the great comments.
Jim
It came to earth "ouch"
I now know where.

ToTheSummit

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2015, 06:01:00 AM »

I really like this project.  I am in the process of planning out my back yard landscaping (my back yard is unfinished at the moment).  I will be incorporating all my piles of rocks into it.  I have been thinking about doing a small waterfall and faux riverbed lined with lapidary stone, but a Japanese garden gives me another idea to consider.

Also, since my Dad is a woodworker I love seeing any wood projects.

ScarlettOSara

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2015, 10:49:01 AM »

Me too I am enjoying your project immensely:) There were nothing I love better when I was little than to go play in my sandbox. My cats liked it too:) There is actually a sandbox in my back yard now that the people who lived here before had left. Sometimes I think about it strongly but then the neighbor would prolly take a picture of me sitting in a turtle and ruin my reputation:)
My brother had a little sand garden that someone had gave him and he gave it to me. Very peaceful and fun:) It is so restful just to rake, sometimes I used to hide my rocks in there too:)
What fine craftsmanship in your garden Jim:)

Enchantra

• Head Bead Nut
  • Administrator
  • Insane Bead Woman
    • Enchanted Regalia
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2015, 11:20:53 AM »

I'm actually considering adding a zen garden to the landscape in the yard.  I just need to plan it out and add the correct rocks etc to it.

Jim, I like your ideas with these sand gardens.
If you really want to go outside the box, try looking up images of Japanese gardens.  They have a lot more curved and flowing lines that you might find interesting to try.

wampidy

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2015, 04:59:16 PM »

I'm actually considering adding a zen garden to the landscape in the yard.  I just need to plan it out and add the correct rocks etc to it.

Jim, I like your ideas with these sand gardens.
If you really want to go outside the box, try looking up images of Japanese gardens.  They have a lot more curved and flowing lines that you might find interesting to try.

I checked those out before I started but I have some severe limitations even though Sara says I can fix anything. I do not have room to add a wood shop. lol
Jim
It came to earth "ouch"
I now know where.

wampidy

Re: 3 finished. Sand gardens. 20+- pics
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2015, 05:34:08 PM »

I managed to get some staining done (the last time because now I remember why I hate it) which was all that was left on three but I still have finishing touches on one left to do.

I added sand and some lines then for your viewing pleasure (I hope) I photographed them with a bunch of different rocks added in. These are not something that you can just sit down to and zip you are finished. It is going to take a lot of Zenning to finish one of these babies out which I guess is a good thing. If you get frustrated easy do not buy one of these. lol

What would a new batch of gardens be without a new batch of rakes. After sitting down and making some lines I am still concerned with the tines being too close together.

I was thinking about saving this one for me but I think I want a smaller one.

I made two like this but one is smaller than the other. I photographed the larger one first and now I can not tell which is which.

I think it switches to the smaller one here.

I have been thinking about putting down a thin layer of glue then add sand so there will always be sand in the bottom if someone just wants it for a display. Doesn't look like much without any sand.

Whadaya think?
Jim
It came to earth "ouch"
I now know where.

ScarlettOSara

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2015, 06:15:34 PM »

I think they are awesome:) Very Peaceful, soothing design. I love the rocks inside the garden:)

iceopals

• Ice
    • Iceopals Jewelry
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2015, 06:19:21 PM »

I love them also, but I am having problems telling the overall size?
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 54 queries.